Pronounce H 'aitch' or 'haitch'

Try explaining that to a foreigner or tourist who has learnt English. They don't teach Geordie or Scottish or Liverpudlian etc, but English. A tourist will tell you the further North you live, the more difficult it is to understand English.

The sad fact is that many tourists can speak better English than those born and educated here.

Sadly, in my work experience, this seems to be very true!

Look at the London riots, those interviewed were barely able to be monosyllablic? And then there's Jeremy Kyle's show! :hihi:

I pronounce it as "aitch" and I'm a Yorkshire lass. I don't think I ever heard anyone pronounce it any other way apart from maybe Eliza Doolitle. Until about five years ago.

Now nearly everyone from teachers to TV voiceovers pop in an extra "H". It's weird how this has come about so quickly.

it's part of my daughter's english homework - how language changes can be wide and sudden -

mis -cheev-us to mis -chiv -us

har-ass to ha RASS

ga-rarj to garridge

etc - very interesting

Only one of those versions appears in the dictionary and therefore is the correct version. The pronunciation of the word aitch is not an indicator of class but of education. It's unfortunate that in this issue there appears to be some measure of blind leading the blind.

I'm middle class from home counties. It's AITCH FFS!

Only one of those versions appears in the dictionary and therefore is the correct version. The pronunciation of the word aitch is not an indicator of class but of education. It's unfortunate that in this issue there appears to be some measure of blind leading the blind.

I'm middle class from home counties. It's AITCH FFS!

I agree, but what I don't get is how quickly it's changed. I've always known it to be pronounced "aitch" by everyone - Northerners, Southerners, toffs and working class. The shift has been recent, but where did it come from? Why did educated people suddenly start Haitching it all over the place?

---------- Post added 14-09-2013 at 22:44 ----------

A tourist will tell you the further North you live, the more difficult it is to understand English..

I don't know if that's absolutely true. When I worked for a multinational company, the business language was English, and several of my foreign colleagues said that the Northern Brits were easier to understand than our Southern colleagues. Something to do with pronouncing nouns more flatly I think - "bath" instead of "baaaarth" etc.

I agree, but what I don't get is how quickly it's changed. I've always known it to be pronounced "aitch" by everyone - Northerners, Southerners, toffs and working class. The shift has been recent, but where did it come from? Why did educated people suddenly start Haitching it all over the place?

---------- Post added 14-09-2013 at 22:44 ----------

I don't know if that's absolutely true. When I worked for a multinational company, the business language was English, and several of my foreign colleagues said that the Northern Brits were easier to understand than our Southern colleagues. Something to do with pronouncing nouns more flatly I think - "bath" instead of "baaaarth" etc.

that's it olive - it's the speed of the change that is interesting - I'm 50, working class manchester but went to a quite posh grammar school and I can't remember 'haitch', but kids say it now - which is strange and interesting and probably right - H is usually pronounced 'huh' (hammer) not 'ai' - I'm going to ask a bunch of my kid's mates and will report back

Archived