Pronounce H 'aitch' or 'haitch'

It's Aitch, I'm from Essex and had a middle class upbringing.

Why?? Do you imagine Haitch is posher or something? I have noticed a tendency for people to put H's in where they don't belong, for instance saying 'has' when they mean 'as' and I've even heard people calling the area I live in Hecclesall for god's sake.

My gran in law used to drop aitches when they were needed and insert them unnecessarily.

Habergevenny 'asn't got an 'ospital.

She also used to say plastic with a long a - plɑːstɪk but plaster, fast and passed with a flat a

It's the Mrs Malaprop gene, expressing itself in pronunciation.

done some research, 'haitch' is common in yorkshire, so the change is not relevent - all ages and classes pronounce it with the H UNLESS - you ask them to say the alphabet - saying haitch requires a stop after G (try it) perhaps that's why its called aitch.

fascinating

I'm from Yorkshire as I said, and I say aitch.

---------- Post added 17-09-2013 at 20:21 ----------

there's a strange south yorky thing where they say faster, rasta, plaster (rhyming with blaster) but pronounce 'master' as 'marster' eg head - marster, marster key - especially round wath/swinton - is it a deference thing perhaps?

Never heard that one either, I'd have said that they were all said with a hard short a.

there's a strange south yorky thing where they say faster, rasta, plaster (rhyming with blaster) but pronounce 'master' as 'marster' eg head - marster, marster key - especially round wath/swinton - is it a deference thing perhaps?

Yeah, I could go with that one (well, certainly from my neck of East Yorks).

Archived