Medical advice please.

i agree with what everyone has said - go and see your gp and get it checked out. one of the main signs of a panic attack is that it has the same symptoms of a heart atteck - so you have done right to go to a & e.

get all the tests you need and then hopefully you will get the help you need :)

i agree with what everyone has said - go and see your gp and get it checked out. one of the main signs of a panic attack is that it has the same symptoms of a heart atteck - so you have done right to go to a & e.

get all the tests you need and then hopefully you will get the help you need :)

When I said to the doctor I thought I was having a heart attack he said the symptoms of a heart attack are nothing like panic attacks,he said you would not be running around the place and phoning people if you were having a heart attack.but when you are having a panic attack you really believe you are having a heart attack and you start to get revved up panic hyperventilate and pick the phone up and ring 999...

No offence but calling 999 for because you're panicked?

What planet do you live on? On Earth paramedics are there for emergencies.

The symptoms often mimic those of a mild heart attack. When a person first experiences them a natural response is to get some help. Totally reasonable. Obviously once it is known what they are it is no longer reasonable to call 999. And the OP has said they have stopped doing that.

So get off that high horse :)

Thank you everyone for the interest in the thread and the responses, I will make an appointment to see the doctor. Just one quick question though, will an examination by a doctor or an ECG in A&E be of much use if I'm not actually having an attack while the examination/ECG is being done? because its quite likely I'll be feeling perfectly fine while at the doctors.

If there is or has been anything seriously wrong with your heart, it will show up on an ECG. It is amazing what the ECG people know.

It is possible to have had or be having a heart attack and have a normal ECG result.

---------- Post added 15-09-2013 at 21:54 ----------

That's all I'm really bothered about, as long as I'm not going to croak it with a heart attack, I can live with anxiety attacks.

I suffer from lots of odd chest pains due to digestive problems. At first I also thought it was heart related and had panic attacks. What helped me the most was a workshop at my GP surgery where they explained exactly what goes on in the body during a panic attack. Once you understand the sensations you are feeling you feel a lot more calm and the episode doesn't develop into a full blown attack. Maybe ask your GP if they offer any similar workshops or advice sessions?

It is possible to have had or be having a heart attack and have a normal ECG result.

That is very unusual though, if a 12 lead ECG is done. You can usually see all past or current heart damage and the location in the heart that has scarring or damage to conduction.

Archived