Immersion heater query

I have just moved into a flat with an immersion heater. I have never lived in a property with one before, so I have no idea how it works or how to use it most effectively. The immersion heater is in the attic, and there is also a gas boiler in the bathroom which I'm assuming is for the central heating.

Both are controlled via an electronic panel in the kitchen, you can set a timer or just switch it on or off. Both look quite old. I've managed to have a bath a couple of times, but the water seems to take around an hour to get hot enough. There is also a new shower installed which heats the water itself so I use that mostly.

Can anyone advise? I should add its a rented property so I can't make any changes to the system. I've not looked at the immersion heater that closely because its dark up there!

The imersion heater is for emergancy only. Your settings on the panel want sorting . Water should only take about 15 mins to heat up. Some were on the panel put it on W. [water] only./ Then put it on constant./ this will get you tap water till you get it sorted out. Or H/W then constant this will get you both./ Constant means it will come on and overide the timer

I know absolutely nothing about plumbing. I'm now confused as to whether it is an immersion heater or a hot water cylinder and header tank :help:

From memory It is a cylinder with an insulation jacket and a open topped plastic tank slightly higher with a ball **** inside. There is some kind of switch on the side.

I don't have economy 7, and I don't need hot water for the shower, fortunately. I only need it for washing up and the occasional bath.

If it's an immersion heater then it will have some wiring entering the side or top of the tank, usually with a red or black plastic cap protecting the terminals. The older systems usually had an operating switch inside the cupboard or sometimes on the outside.

Does the boiler fire up when you run the bath?

I still have a hot water tank which is heated by the gas boiler but also has the original immersion heater fitted in case of a boiler breakdown. Although on the one and only occasion the boiler did breakdown we forgot we had an immersion heater as in the 30 years we have had it we have never used it.

I have just moved into a flat with an immersion heater. I have never lived in a property with one before, so I have no idea how it works or how to use it most effectively. The immersion heater is in the attic, and there is also a gas boiler in the bathroom which I'm assuming is for the central heating.

I am not an expert, but I have never known a gas boiler that is for cental heating only

Can you not arrange for the landlord to come down and explain how everything works?

Archived