Automated telephone spam...

Geoff

Originally posted by Bookey

Very true, I dont want to give everyone the DDI to me thus it's withheld, sometimes have trouble calling one or two clients.:)

So what about those clients - don't they have the right to know who is calling. After all, you have their DDI, and you are the one interupting them!!!

I make it a total policy now only to answer if I know who is calling, and I tell people this. Most people use their mobiles to call me now rather than using withheld exchange lines.

Originally posted by Tony

I make it a total policy now only to answer if I know who is calling, and I tell people this. Most people use their mobiles to call me now rather than using withheld exchange lines.

Do you expect them to put their full name and address on the outside of envelopes when they send you a letter too?

What about people who have no choice - e.g. they work for a council, bank or other large organisation where the policy is decided elsewhere?

How many new potential clients do you miss?

To make this easier, I think legislation should be passed that any marketing calls should make 'Marketing Call' or 'Unsolicited Call' appear on screen, rather than 'Private Number' or 'Withheld' - this would make it easier to determine that even if it appears 'Withheld', it is a genuine call for you.

So what about those clients - don't they have the right to know who is calling. After all, you have their DDI, and you are the one interupting them!!!

Tony, 95% of the people I call will have already spoke to me either via email or will have been transfered to myself from else where within the business.

Also only people I speak to are business and how many of them reject anon calls? (hint - not many) :D:thumbsup:

Originally posted by ncrossland

To make this easier, I think legislation should be passed that any marketing calls should make 'Marketing Call' or 'Unsolicited Call' appear on screen, rather than 'Private Number' or 'Withheld' - this would make it easier to determine that even if it appears 'Withheld', it is a genuine call for you.

Now that is a very good idea!! :thumbsup:

Anyone fancy telling Ofcom / Oftel ?!?

Originally posted by Grim

Not generally a good idea, for when a company genuinely wants to call you!

Very true, I dont want to give everyone the DDI to me thus it's withheld, sometimes have trouble calling one or two clients

If a company or friend relative genuinely wants to call me, why should they withold thier number ? using number witheld to me is usually a sign of something to hide i.e. nuisance callers.

Its like you dont normally open your front door to unwelcome visitors so why do it with the telephone.

Number withheld = No call answered in my opinion.

Originally posted by Ncrossland Do you expect them to put their full name and address on the outside of envelopes when they send you a letter too?

Post is easy to sort if its junk mail or Genuine letter contact.

Tony, 95% of the people I call will have already spoke to me either via email or will have been transfered to myself from else where within the business.

Also only people I speak to are business and how many of them reject anon calls? (hint - not many) :D:thumbsup:

Fair point on internal calls, but I still like to decide who I speak to and when, whether they are internal or not.

Originally posted by ncrossland

Do you expect them to put their full name and address on the outside of envelopes when they send you a letter too?

What about people who have no choice - e.g. they work for a council, bank or other large organisation where the policy is decided elsewhere?

You're missing the point. I make it MY choice to speak to people if it is convenient for me. Otherwise, they can text, email, write, leave a message, PM, etc, etc.

When someone calls - I am ALWAYS doing something else, so I decide the priority. I don't see how that differs, whatever the organisation, unless your job is to

a) sit waiting for instructions

b) finish the task

C) raise a flag waiting for another instruction.

....I can't think of any jobs like that.

How many new potential clients do you miss?

None. It's about responsible prioritising, not jumping to attention like Pavlovs dogs when the bell rings.

Agreed. Until that day comes I shall continue to ignore and reject witheld numbers. In the meantime, everyone should get used to showing their numbers (except in special circumstances) - it's much easier.

Fair point on internal calls, but I still like to decide who I speak to and when, whether they are internal or not.

People internal to the business know my extention, but the DDI is not to be given out without my express permission.

But each to there own. :)

Agreed. Until that day comes I shall continue to ignore and reject witheld numbers. In the meantime, everyone should get used to showing their numbers (except in special circumstances) - it's much easier.

Please define Special Circumstances

Archived