Homemade dog treats.

bublelover

Even a person doing it as a hobby can get sued. ;)

I don't doubt that - my surprise is that no one except professionals adhere to the FSA nor are they bothered about craft event,charity events. So why should making homemade natural dog treats be different.

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but I've found the best commercial treats are the Fish4Dogs dried fish skins. Mine have the tiddler size and as well as been low calorie they help clean their teeth because they are crunchy. Problem with treats is that they can contain too many calories and obesity is such a problem with dogs these days. If dogs are fed kibble it does no harm to reserve some from their meals to use for training treats.

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but I've found the best commercial treats are the Fish4Dogs dried fish skins. Mine have the tiddler size and as well as been low calorie they help clean their teeth because they are crunchy. Problem with treats is that they can contain too many calories and obesity is such a problem with dogs these days. If dogs are fed kibble it does no harm to reserve some from their meals to use for training treats.

I read that this is a total fallacy and that they have no benefit at all for cleaning. It's as likely as a digestive cleaning yours and mine. They say meaty bones are the best tools for cleaning teeth.

Have you tried making your own liver cake for treats bublelover? It stinks your house out but they love it and you can freeze it chopped up in packets and defrost one by one.

http://mylittledog.wordpress.com/2011/02/11/how-to-make-liver-cake-recipe/

If you've got a dog that has to have things gluten free you can exchange the flour for gram flour or similar and some baking powder. It's really a very simple recipe and lots of my friends have dogs that will do anything for it.

Another thing you could try is making liver jerky. Very thin liver dried like biltong and then cut up into small pieces is even simpler than liver cake.

Molly likes dried black pudding and liver jerky for treats :)

@Daid -

I read that this is a total fallacy

Can you say where you read that please? I haven't seen it myself.

They say meaty bones are the best tools for cleaning teeth.

I don't know who 'they' are but I do know that the British Small Animal Veterinary Association and the World Small Animal Veterinary Association do not advocate the use of bones. I would imagine that they would know seeing as their members probably earn a fair bit of money treating animals who have splintered bone in their digestive system.

I make them too. Def do liver ones. My pooch does somersaults for those...... And yes they freeze well. Really easy to do. One evening a month can make enough for ages. Loads recipes on Internet and pinterest. There was a lovely lady at last sharrow market with all sorts of lovely treats, pawbon biscuits and other such amusing names! Sorry cant remeber who but she might be on here.

• 1 year later...