Ed Miliband Has Wrecked The Labour Party.

That doesn't alter the fact that Dave has promised a referendum on EU membership. So regardless of his personal views we all get an equal say on whether we stay in or get out.

I'm feeling pretty good about that. The EU know we will have a vote based on the deal that the UK has in Europe at the time. The better deal on the table the more chance the British will vote to remain in the EU.

People who want out of the EU can vote UKIP if they want, but UKIP won't be in a position to hold a referendum. So if you want a vote on the UK's membership of the EU then Dave is the only show in town.

the eu referendum doth blow

the uk says no

and what will poor david do then, poor thing?

just a thought, if david cameron is prime minister after the next election, and we have a referendum on eu membership, which he supports, but "we" vote to come out - what does he do? - does he instigate a policy he does not support and does not believe in, or does he resign on a matter of principle?

be careful what you wish for - you may receive it

the uk says no

just a thought, if david cameron is prime minister after the next election, and we have a referendum on eu membership, which he supports, but "we" vote to come out - what does he do? - does he instigate a policy he does not support and does not believe in, or does he resign on a matter of principle?

What a naive question to ask.

Just imagine if David Cameron didn't support something like Scottish Independence, and they held a referendum on that. What do you think he would do if the people voted for independence?

He's still PM despite us not going into Syria, isn't he?

it was a hypothetical question, but...

he is, but it isn't the same thing

the eu question is so fundamental to uk life that, if he believes we should stay in, but the electorate votes to come out, does he simply shrug his shoulders and say, as he did with syria, "we get it" or does he, as a man of principle, say, "i cannot support this policy and will not do so"

Just imagine if David Cameron didn't support something like Scottish Independence, and they held a referendum on that. What do you think he would do if the people voted for independence?

why is it naive?

other than perhaps a belief that some politicians still have principles

he doesn't have a vote in the scottish election and does not have any say in the outcome - if Scotland voted to secede from the UK and took steps to do so, he could not stop them, so why should he "do" anything?

the scottish referendum is not his policy - just because he may have an opinion on it doesn't mean he has to resign if the outcome is not what he wants

---------- Post added 19-09-2013 at 15:53 ----------

I would imagine the former.

i would imagine you may be correct

i suspect his stance will be - "this is what i believe, but i will abide by the decision of the electorate and believe i am the best man to carry out your wishes"

the uk says no

It is an interesting dilemma, Wilson never mentioned resignation when he held the referendum oh so many years ago, Cameron, or any politician in his position, would be foolish to make it into a resignation issue.

I think he will say, this is what I think, but I will be guided by you. Very much similar to the Syria vote.

---------- Post added 19-09-2013 at 17:35 ----------

Secretly, I think the Tories would be very relaxed about a yes for independence vote. If it happened Labour would lose a lot of seats in the Westminster parliament, in fact it is hard to see how Labour could ever form a government again.

---------- Post added 19-09-2013 at 17:36 ----------

No thanks, we all have recent , very painful experience of what this country is like to live in under a Labour Government.For the sake of the country they should never be allowed to get anywhere near power ever again.

I absolutely agree with you.

I bet Cameron was seething when he got slapped down by his own party over going to war, even after he kept changing what was to be voted on.........he still lost :huh:

Who knows. On the world stage he was seen as backing the Americans and at home he isn't seen as taking us into a war.

Miliband on the other hand is seen as putting a minor bit of personal political point scoring above the lives of a few million Syrians and being totally indecisive. How the future will judge them can probably be seen from the opinion polls over the last couple of weeks that have seen Milibands personal rating fall to the lowest ever seen for a Labour Leader.

I think Cameron came out of it rather well.

---------- Post added 19-09-2013 at 17:53 ----------

Secretly, I think the Tories would be very relaxed about a yes for independence vote. If it happened Labour would lose a lot of seats in the Westminster parliament, in fact it is hard to see how Labour could ever form a government again

You may well be right, but as with Syria they have to be seen to support a certain line in public whatever their personal thoughts. How many seats at Westminster are occupied by Scottish MPs who do not support the Tory's policies? I would imagine it must be about the total lot of them.

I bet Cameron secretly wishes we could get shut of Scotland & Wales as well.

Who knows. On the world stage he was seen as backing the Americans and at home he isn't seen as taking us into a war.

Miliband on the other hand is seen as putting a minor bit of personal political point scoring above the lives of a few million Syrians and being totally indecisive. How the future will judge them can probably be seen from the opinion polls over the last couple of weeks that have seen Milibands personal rating fall to the lowest ever seen for a Labour Leader.

I think Cameron came out of it rather well.

---------- Post added 19-09-2013 at 17:53 ----------

You may well be right, but as with Syria they have to be seen to support a certain line in public whatever their personal thoughts. How many seats at Westminster are occupied by Scottish MPs who do not support the Tory's policies? I would imagine it must be about the total lot of them.

I bet Cameron secretly wishes we could get shut of Scotland & Wales as well.

I cant agree with that, he was trying his best to take us INTO war...whereas as Milliband was sort of saying.."hang on lets not go rushing in"....and after he lost the vote, he was still bigging himself up and laying the law down to Syria, when he had no backing whatsoever..:huh:

Archived