Should the veil be banned in schools?

vinyl

Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know.

A Lib/Dem MP has proposed looking into banning girls from wearing veils at school. This follows the overturning of a ban in Birmingham schools following a protest by Muslim groups.

The suggestion is that the veil isolates children from the rest of their class and leads to lack of integration in communities.

A Lib/Dem MP has proposed looking into banning girls from wearing veils at school. This follows the overturning of a ban in Birmingham schools following a protest by Muslim groups.

The suggestion is that the veil isolates children from the rest of their class and leads to lack of integration in communities.

What's your view?

What about the UK schools that insist that all girls wear the veil, if they all have one on does it still isolate them from each other?

Hundreds of girls are bring forced by British schools to wear the Islamic veil in a move which has been heavily criticised by mainstream Muslims.

Moderate followers of Islam said yesterday that enforcement of the veil was a "dangerous precedent" and that children attending such schools were being "brainwashed".

Ed Husain, co-director of Quilliam, the counter-extremist think-tank, said: "It is absurd that schools are enforcing this outdated ritual – one that which sends out a damaging message that Muslims do not want to fully partake in British society.

Yes. Pupils need to be able to see the faces of teachers or teaching assistants. Personally I think it should be banned in all occupations where communication with people is vital, so that includes healthcare, retail, law ...

Children should definitely not be allowed to wear the veil at school. They are too young and it should be a choice they make later on as adults. (How do you eat with a veil on? Would the Muslim girls have to have a separate dining room?)

To clarify, my view is that it, along with any other visible religious sign (christian cross, jewish kippah, sikh turban, etc.), should be banned.

This drives the fundamental message home (schooling should be 100% secular - although note that I am not advocating the suppression of RE, so long as it remains all-encompassing and unbiased, i.e. teaches about all religions on equal terms) and, usefully, avoids victimisation of Muslims in particular.

Maybe the poll needs an additional choice and/or rephrasing ("Should school children be prevented from wearing any religious ornament or garment at school?").

To clarify, my view is that it, along with any other visible religious sign (christian cross, jewish kippah, sikh turban, etc.), should be banned.

This drives the fundamental message home (schooling should be 100% secular - although note that I am not advocating the suppression of RE, so long as it remains all-encompassing and unbiased, i.e. teaches about all religions on equal terms) and, usefully, avoids victimisation of Muslims in particular.

Maybe the poll needs an additional choice and/or rephrasing ("Should school children be prevented from wearing any religious ornament or garment at school?").

I will ask...

I don't have a problem with religious symbols. I just have a problem with kids hiding behind a mask. I'd have a bigger problem with teachers doing the same.

Archived