Should the veil be banned in schools?

vinyl

Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know.

Personally I don't believe the state should interfere with what we wear, unless the garment contains slogans which are highly likely to cause a breach of the peace.

Slogans only cause a breach of the peace because some small minded people breach the piece when they see them, just as some small minded people will breach the piece if they see women wearing the Burqa. Its not really any different, if you are going to ban one you might as well ban the other or ban neither.

Intolerance being the key word. This is what its all about.

Its all part of the 'bigger' agenda.

Bigger agenda, exactly. Intolerance towards unveiled muslims, and non-muslims, will only increase as the number veiled muslim women increases.

The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) said that not covering the face is a "shortcoming" and suggested that any Muslims who advocate being uncovered could be guilty of rejecting Islam.

If MCB think being unveiled is a shortcoming, what must they think of the infidel? I doubt they would ever say in public.

That they should be banned in public places, if a group of students turned up to class all wearing balaclavas they would likely be asked to remove them, despite the fact that they are not banned.

Now you're conflating two different things-wearing the burka in public and wearing it in a learning environment.

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 16:15 ----------

Lets hope that this doesn't lead to every criminal trying to keep there face covered from public view during a trials.

Why would it do that, the judge has ruled against it.

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 16:17 ----------

Slogans only cause a breach of the peace because some small minded people breach the piece when they see them, just as some small minded people will breach the piece if they see women wearing the Burqa. Its not really any different, if you are going to ban one you might as well ban the other or ban neither.

It is different, by degrees..most people might brush off being called an 'idiot', whereas most wouldn't tolerate someone calling their mother the C word.

It makes sense, but only if you pretend that only women who are forced into wearing it, wear it. Clearly this is not true.

Asking a group of students wearing balaclavas to remove them is not the same as banning all disguises in public places...

It doesn't matter that some people choose to wear it, I want to ride my bike without a crash helmet, but if I'm seen by the police I am likely to be charged.

Some people choose to harm them selves but we would also try to prevent them.

If MCB think being unveiled is a shortcoming, what must they think of the infidel? I doubt they would ever say in public.

Where did they say that then?

According to their website it's mainly women in Arab countries who wear the burka, it's certainly not prescribed for others other than through their own choice.

'So how should a Muslim woman dress?'

In Islam, the basic rule is that women should cover their body with loose fitting clothes. This is a generic requirement and so the actual style of clothing is adaptable to suit personal preferences, cultural norms and practical requirements. There are therefore different styles of Hijab worn by women throughout the world. Some Muslim women, particularly those in the Arab world, also interpret Hijab to include an outer covering (Burka).

http://www.mcb.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=390

Now you're conflating two different things-wearing the burka in public and wearing it in a learning environment.

They are the same issue to me.

Why would it do that, the judge has ruled against it.

No he didn't, he rules that the jury, barristers and he must be able to see her face, she will be screened from public view which is something most criminals aren't offered but might want.

It is different, by degrees..most people might brush off being called an 'idiot', whereas most wouldn't tolerate someone calling their mother the C word.

Its only different to you because somethings offend you and somethings don't, if we are to ban the things that offend some people, then we should ban the things that offend other people, some people find the burqa more offensive than a few words on a T shirt.

Archived