Should the veil be banned in schools?

vinyl

Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know.

A reasonably good article here, written in 2011 on the back of the ban introduced in France at that time, linked as food for thought in the context of this thread. Summarises broad aspects of the debate quite nicely, and discusses the issue within a British context, from a legal perspective.

Why?....................

Because I don't think things should be banned without a very good reason.

Is there a problem with girls wearing the veil?

I've never heard of it being a problem.

Can we be clear about exactly what we mean by veil? Most of the Muslim schoolgirls around here wear their hair covered by a hijab, like this -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/europe_muslim_veils/html/1.stm

Is this what people mean when they're saying we should ban?

Because I don't think things should be banned without a very good reason.

Is there a problem with girls wearing the veil?

I've never heard of it being a problem.

Can we be clear about exactly what we mean by veil? Most of the Muslim schoolgirls around here wear their hair covered by a hijab, like this -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/europe_muslim_veils/html/1.stm

Is this what people mean when they're saying we should ban?

You don't have much idea about what a veil is do you?

This about sums it up.

Many women are vulnerable to this propaganda and so their so-called choice to wear a burqa may not be the result of independent informed decision-making. Moreover, even an independent decision to wear a burqa is not carried out in a vacuum. It is important to understand the effect of this choice on other Muslim women, many of whom may be trying to resist the pressure of their relatives, their community or their governments to wear the burqa. Their resistance is undermined when the burqa becomes increasingly common in public places, and becomes more closely associated with the religion of Islam.

So when one Muslim women chooses to wear it she adversely affects many other Muslim women.

There lies the contradictory reasons for the decision to wear the burqa? Aside from the oppression of male dominance, some women say they choose to wear it not always specifically only for religious reasons, but to make a statement, that statement being that they are not prepared to conform to Western culture. In other words its a form of rebellion for some, perhaps political? and a desire to adhere to tradition for others.

I would support anyone who chooses to wear a type of clothing that is identifying them with their traditional culture or religious belief. And for the reason I explained before its only the burqa and niqab in public communication I have a problem with, because by hiding their face they are in disguise.

This about sums it up.

Many women are vulnerable to this propaganda and so their so-called choice to wear a burqa may not be the result of independent, informed decision-making. Moreover, even an independent decision to wear a burqa is not carried out in a vacuum.

So when one Muslim women chooses to wear it she adversely affects many other Muslim women.

So given that diatribe you'd forbid women having their tits done because they might have been vulnerable to societal influences which are male dominated and even where an independent decision is made to have cosmetic enhancements it's not carried out in a vacuum.

So when one woman decides to go for a voluptuous pair of double diamonds she adversely affects the pancake brigade?

No, the veil should not be banned in schools.

Why do you always go against the Majority even when all correct and relevant points are made against a certain issue, is it the Attention you seek and bask in. your user name should have been Basking Shark not Halibut, you picked the wrong fish.:loopy:

Archived