Should the veil be banned in schools?

vinyl

Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know.

You have a strange sense of liberation if you think putting someone to face a wall in a classroom releases them from misogyny, violence and oppression :hihi:

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 19:10 ----------

I've already said I'd ban it in schools, but I find it very odd that people who appear to champion the 'liberation' of burka wearers would punish them for wearing one.

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 19:11 ----------

I don't believe they should be allowed to wear them in schools!

Ok, so we're sort of on the same page. What do you think to the fargate scenario I so vividly painted. That sort of behaviour would get you nicked woukdnt it? (And automatically refused service at banks, post offices, shops, airports, and football stadiums)

Ok, so we're sort of on the same page. What do you think to the fargate scenario I so vividly painted. That sort of behaviour would get you nicked woukdnt it? (And automatically refused service at banks, post offices, shops, airports, and football stadiums)

I honestly think your analogy is ill conceived tfh, the police are entitled to establish your identity however they're not entitled to remove your ski mask whilst your walking down Fargate wearing it, no law has been broken.

You wouldn't need exceptions, the police, a shop keeper, a business owner would just have the automatic right to request it be removed, in the case of the police if they don't comply there would be grounds for arrest.

Wearing a balaclava at the top of Scafell pike isn't going to be an issue.

But to what purpose? What is the point in banning people from wearing a veil in public (outdoors) whilst allowing other people to effectively mask themselves with other items? It wouldn't improve security or help with crime detection so how do you justify it?

Either there is a case for people not covering their faces in certain places or there is not. If there is then the rule should apply to all and there should be no religious exceptions. But let's not go down the road where we surrender freedoms (leave it to police discretion as to what people can or can't wear!) in order to do no more than punish people we don't like because of the oppressive religion they follow... how would that make us any better?

I honestly think your analogy is ill conceived tfh, the police are entitled to establish your identity however they're not entitled to remove your ski mask whilst your walking down Fargate wearing it, no law has been broken.

Try it, let me know how you get on.

You wouldn't think whistling the theme to laurel and hardy breaks many laws but do it within earshot of coppers and they really, really don't like it!

Try it, let me know how you get on.

You wouldn't think whistling the theme to laurel and hardy breaks many laws but do it within earshot of coppers and they really, really don't like it!

I'm not bothered what they like or don't like tfh, if you behave within the boundaries of the law then you've nothing to worry about apart from the occasional arsey copper!

Imagine giving bobbies like that powers to terrorise Muslim women...that I really, really wouldn't like.

I fear some Muslim women, and sadly children are being used by extremists, and it has to be said by groups like the UAF.

There is no argument really. Of course it should be banned. There shouldn't have to be though. The people who chose to wear it should, if they are reasonable people, accept that it is not very good for integration.

If Muslim women want to wear it in Muslim only schools then that's fine.

But to what purpose? What is the point in banning people from wearing a veil in public (outdoors) whilst allowing other people to effectively mask themselves with other items? It wouldn't improve security or help with crime detection so how do you justify it?

There wouldn't be any point which is why I haven't suggested it, I don't want to see the veil banned, but I would support legislation that makes it an offence to hide ones identity whilst in a public place, like towns and cities, airports and banks.

Archived