Should the veil be banned in schools?

vinyl

Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know.

People are asked not to cover their faces for security reasons in places like schools, banks, courts etc, and these rules need to apply to all. If this causes a problem for those following more extremist versions of Islam then that is too bad... this is the point at which the tolerance baton needs to be handed over!

People are asked not to cover their faces for security reasons in places like schools, banks, courts etc, and these rules need to apply to all. If this causes a problem for those following more extremist versions of Islam then that is too bad... this is the point at which the tolerance baton needs to be handed over!

You're straying into that "if yer cum ere, you gotta do what we say and follow our wules" territory Zamo ;)

People may well be asked not to cover their faces in certain situations, but there is no legislation prohibiting it. So it seems the much maligned burka wearer is having 'our rules' changed to accommodate our sensitivities-this is the problem that requires proper consideration.

I'm sure there are many burka wearing women who take the mickey and it does represent two fingers to western culture, on the other hand I'm sure there are many who have deeply held convictions and I believe their freedoms should be respected as much as anyone else's to wear what they want.

Having said that without having to dust off the NF manifesto there are commonsense reasons why the burka don't work in many situations and I'd agree a school and other public body environments where employees are required to face the public are among them-there should be no face coverings permitted.

I fully agree. It should be like smoking. If you want to wear one that's fine, but it should also be perfectly legal to have a sign in your establishment saying "NOT IN HERE".

When it comes to Muslims must it always be the sodding veil we're talking about? What do blokes wear that says "look at me I'm a Muslim". I discreet cross, Star of David, even a turban isn't going to offend anybody but someone whose face you can't and robes that could hide alsorts of stuff isn't right at a school, neither is its oppressive overtones.

neither is its oppressive overtones.

Hear what you say tfh, but what would you think if Muslims complained about young girls walking around our streets at the weekend displaying vast amounts of bare flesh? Would anyone take a blind bit of notice?

You're straying into that "if yer cum ere, you gotta do what we say and follow our wules" territory Zamo ;)

People may well be asked not to cover their faces in certain situations, but there is no legislation prohibiting it. So it seems the much maligned burka wearer is having 'our rules' changed to accommodate our sensitivities-this is the problem that requires proper consideration.

I'm sure there are many burka wearing women who take the mickey and it does represent two fingers to western culture, on the other hand I'm sure there are many who have deeply held convictions and I believe their freedoms should be respected as much as anyone else's to wear what they want.

Having said that without having to dust off the NF manifesto there are commonsense reasons why the burka don't work in many situations and I'd agree a school and other public body environments where employees are required to face the public are among them-there should be no face coverings permitted.

So we agree that it isn't appropirate to cover faces in places like schools, banks, the courts etc but if I say it it is because I have a racist, nationalist agenda? Is it coz I is white?

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 12:11 ----------

I think you just contradicted yourself there.

Unless you want to argue that the veil isn't a religious symbol?

The veil can be a religious symbol but it is first and foremost a mask.

Archived