Should the veil be banned in schools?

vinyl

Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should school children be prevented from veiling up at school?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know.

When i first started noticing Asians / Pakistanis as a kid when i was growing up (early 70's) i cant remember ANY of the female children wearing these niqab / burqa's / veils.

Even the women didnt. You saw the ocassional man with beard / gown and that was about it.

Islamic attire has definately been more predominant in the last 15-20yrs.

Whether the veil is worn by child or adult, i think it looks very odd.

This is 2014, surely there is no need to dress like that. This is Britain, the free world. Not the 7th century.

Surely if you want to intergrate into British society, wait until you get home to wear these religious garments. Meanwhile, lets all be able to look at eachother whilst we are in the community. Talking to a letterbox doesnt really work.

So we agree that it isn't appropirate to cover faces in places like schools, banks, the courts etc but if I say it it is because I have a racist, nationalist agenda?

..I do miss you Zamo :D

Frankly I wouldn't want to associate my dislike of the burka with having a racist, nationalist agenda, but you can imagine some of the gobfrothers are objecting just to stick the boot in on them Muslims-that I don't like!

We are a relatively free society and because of that we're likely to encounter people who behave or dress in a way that's incongruous to the rest of us-burka wearers, swingers and Wednesdayites to name a few.

Is it coz I is white?

I know enough firebreathing black Christians whose views on Islam would make your hair curl to know that isn't the case :)

A Lib/Dem MP has proposed looking into banning girls from wearing veils at school. This follows the overturning of a ban in Birmingham schools following a protest by Muslim groups.

The suggestion is that the veil isolates children from the rest of their class and leads to lack of integration in communities.

Yes it should be banned. From a simple honesty point of view, if veils are forced n the kids then cheating in exams would be incredibly simple.

Also, the burka is a disgusting affront to women everywhere and has no place in a modern society.

When i first started noticing Asians / Pakistanis as a kid when i was growing up (early 70's) i cant remember ANY of the female children wearing these niqab / burqa's / veils.
I agree, in the 60's, 70's and 80's the average Muslim was seen as a benign character, not looking for trouble but had much landed on him. In the early 80's I lived in a predominantly Asian area and got pretty fed up seeing my Muslim neighbour come home after a late shift and cleaning the gozz off his minicab and recounting tales of racist abuse-verbal and physical. His children saw all this and resented his treatment. That was probably a familiar scene to Asian youth in the 80's.

Many 2nd generation immigrants encounter problems establishing an identity, some lash out at their adopted society, some integrate just fine. The young burka wearers are probably relying on the former rather than the latter.

I also think burka wearing is more predominant in some cultures than others, Somalian women especially seem to go for the full covering and they're relatively new immigrants to the UK.

To clarify, my view is that it, along with any other visible religious sign (christian cross, jewish kippah, sikh turban, etc.), should be banned.

This drives the fundamental message home (schooling should be 100% secular - although note that I am not advocating the suppression of RE, so long as it remains all-encompassing and unbiased, i.e. teaches about all religions on equal terms) and, usefully, avoids victimisation of Muslims in particular.

Maybe the poll needs an additional choice and/or rephrasing ("Should school children be prevented from wearing any religious ornament or garment at school?").

Being secular has never in the past included the suppression of religious identity, which seems to be what you are suggesting?

I don't like the veil, or religion in general, but you can't oppress people out of oppression, which seems to be the intent of banning 'symbols' of oppression. It's a hypocritical and/or stupid idea.

Even the women didnt. You saw the ocassional man with beard / gown and that was about it.

Islamic attire has definately been more predominant in the last 15-20yrs.

Whether the veil is worn by child or adult, i think it looks very odd.

This is 2014, surely there is no need to dress like that. This is Britain, the free world. Not the 7th century.

Surely if you want to intergrate into British society, wait until you get home to wear these religious garments. Meanwhile, lets all be able to look at eachother whilst we are in the community. Talking to a letterbox doesnt really work.

What does "the free world" mean to you? Does it mean the freedom to wear what someone wants, or does it only mean the freedom to dress as you've decided is acceptable?

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 12:26 ----------

Also, the burka is a disgusting affront to women everywhere and has no place in a modern society.

An affront which you think can be solved by dictating to them what the are and are not allowed to wear? :roll:

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 12:27 ----------

Do they want to wear it or are they told to wear it ?

Are you going to ask before you tell them what they have to wear?

I agree, in the 60's, 70's and 80's the average Muslim was seen as a benign character, not looking for trouble but had much landed on him. In the early 80's I lived in a predominantly Asian area and got pretty fed up seeing my Muslim neighbour come home after a late shift and cleaning the gozz off his minicab and recounting tales of racist abuse-verbal and physical. His children saw all this and resented his treatment. That was probably a familiar scene to Asian youth in the 80's.

Many 2nd generation immigrants encounter problems establishing an identity, some lash out at their adopted society, some integrate just fine. The young burka wearers are probably relying on the former rather than the latter.

I also think burka wearing is more predominant in some cultures than others, Somalian women especially seem to go for the full covering and they're relatively new immigrants to the UK.

Yeah, theres a lot of truth in that BF. Asian kids were reknowned for wearing unfashionable clothes (eg, starred jumpers, 2-3yrs after they went out of fashion). Cant remember seeing any girls or women wearing Islamic headgear.

The question is though. Why is it so common thesedays in 2013 ? Why the change ? Have Muslims in general become more religious ? If so why ?

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 12:31 ----------

What does "the free world" mean to you? Does it mean the freedom to wear what someone wants, or does it only mean the freedom to dress as you've decided is acceptable?

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 12:26 ----------

An affront which you think can be solved by dictating to them what the are and are not allowed to wear? :roll:

---------- Post added 16-09-2013 at 12:27 ----------

Are you going to ask before you tell them what they have to wear?

I'd love to know how many WANT to wear it ?

Archived