What was anyone's first car boot sale like?

I loved our 1st one, was a bit hard getting there at 6:00 as I'd forgotten there was 2 6'o clocks in a day and the gold dealers and immigrants looking for an early grab is a bit of a nuisance when your cold tired and trying to set up, but all in all, not a bad experience.

Two people absolute minimum unless you've got a bladder the size of an elephant. Also that gives one of you the chance to wander round and buy things either to take home or sell again at a higher price. The Haggling some people try is sometimes ridiculous, an item you're selling for £1 and they offer you 10p. Also be aware that some people like a freebie so don't place cherished pieces out of line of sight or they may disappear mysteriously.

The first one I stood at was at Doncaster Racecourse in the late 80s. I used to go there regularly to stand or just to buy. I really enjoyed car boots then, it was before everyone became an antiques expert!

I haven't stood at any for several years, and the last few times I've gone along for a browse I've found little of interest.

Archived