Info required-houses with no gas mains

HouseMover

Hi

I'm looking for some help regarding a University project I'm doing about fuel poverty. I'm trying to identify areas of Sheffield & South Yorkshire where the houses aren't connected to gas, or have coal power, preferably pre-1930s.

Can anyone help, or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

You can access a map of where all the main high pressure gas lines go, but I think you have to be working for the gas board or something to get access to a map of homes that are on the network - I don't think that info is public.

You could muck about with energy company websites, put in random addresses and see if you can get gas????

the high-rise flats that used to be on Norfolk Park (and the one of the same design, which is still standing) were all Electric only. There were a number of flats identical in the original design to those on Martin Street and Netherthorpe, across the city, which were also all-electric, (Martin St, Andover Street, Lansdowne, Winn Gardens, Lowedges, Herdings, and Gleadless Valley.

The older, Victorian properties, all tended to have at least a gas supply, for lighting, (even if the cooking was done using a "range". Generally it was older properties than Victorian which didn't have gas.

My late mother's childhood home in Attercliffe, which was a late Victorian property (Now demolished) had gas lighting until she was a young child,. She described to me the excitement of the Gas lighting being changed for electrical lighting.

Archived