Free travel for apprenticeships?

Found this on the SYPTE website:

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/freetravel/

Get free travel

Getting a job or starting an apprenticeship is an exciting achievement and we can help you get there using public transport.

Travel South Yorkshire has teamed up with Job Centre Plus to provide free travel by bus, tram and train throughout South Yorkshire if you’re starting work or an apprenticeship.

You can get free travel for up to three months if you are:

• starting an apprenticeship for 16 hours per week or more
  • aged 16-24 years old
  • claiming Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)/out of work or education, for at least six weeks.

Or you can get free travel for four weeks if you are:

• starting work for 16 hours per week or more
  • expected to last at least 13 weeks
  • aged 16-24 years old
  • claiming Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)/out of work or education, for at least six weeks

How to get your free travel

If this is you, then to claim your free travel you need to contact your Job Centre Plus advisor or college recruitment advisor and ask them to provide you with a Better Bus Voucher. Your advisor then needs to stamp this together with a recent passport photo.

Your voucher and photo then need to be taken to a Travel Information Centre and you will be provided with a pass to make your free journey to use on any bus, train or tram.

Please remember that passes are only provided on a monthly basis so arrangements will have to be made with your advisor to get your 2nd and 3rd month worth of free travel if you are on an apprenticeship.

For further information please contact Traveline on 01709 51 51 51

Hope this helps

It's a pity they lose the free transport when they are at 6th form, having 4 buses per day (different bus companies so no travel concessions) is a hefty £14 a week on 70p per trip discounted student fare. That's £500+ per year on buses alone, it's expensive, I think they should get free travel if in full time education.

---------- Post added 18-09-2013 at 21:05 ----------

My sons got an NUS Apprenticeship card that gets him bus travel for 80p. That was the best we could find.

If you do find any info re free travel please let me know :)

If he's 16-18 he can get a travel card for 70p per trip.

It's a pity they lose the free transport when they are at 6th form, having 4 buses per day (different bus companies so no travel concessions) is a hefty £14 a week on 70p per trip discounted student fare. That's £500+ per year on buses alone, it's expensive, I think they should get free travel if in full time education.

---------- Post added 18-09-2013 at 21:05 ----------

If he's 16-18 he can get a travel card for 70p per trip.

Isnt that with a student pass? Hes an apprentice, not a student.

I totally agree they should get free travel if theyre in full time education.

Isnt that with a student pass? Hes an apprentice, not a student.

I totally agree they should get free travel if theyre in full time education.

Sorry of course it's if they are in education (they check with the establishment)

Good idea to use the NUS card it was handy when waiting for the 70p pass to arrive.

3 months free travel should save him (or you!) some money, and it's easier than scratching round for change, that is if he doesn't lose or misplace it like my daughter would! I know that apprentices get a very small wage so it all helps. Well done for getting an apprentiship, I hope he's enjoying it.

Sorry of course it's if they are in education (they check with the establishment)

Good idea to use the NUS card it was handy when waiting for the 70p pass to arrive.

3 months free travel should save him (or you!) some money, and it's easier than scratching round for change, that is if he doesn't lose or misplace it like my daughter would! I know that apprentices get a very small wage so it all helps. Well done for getting an apprentiship, I hope he's enjoying it.

I believe the free travels only if theyve been unemployed for a while first? I could be wrong but I think thats what we were told when we were looking into it. He left school in June and started his apprenticeship in July, so that didnt apply to him.

Hes loving it, thank you, and is on a really good wage for a 16 yo, hes even got a pension!!

Archived