Policing EDL at Lane Top

Doom

This is a really interesting debate. I can understand the anxieties that many people have about a counter demonstration being perceived as a catalyst for violence, but groups like the EDL should not be allowed to roam in our streets without any physical objection from the people of Sheffield.

Groups like the EDL thrive from intimidating people in their own neighbourhoods, and this is why it is extremely important to have a physical presence in those streets in order to show that their beliefs are unacceptable and certainly not held by the majority of people in our city. A counter demonstration is not designed to cause a fight but instead to show unity among local people, so they they think again before coming back to intimidate people further.

It is worrying that so many people on here seem to have sympathies with the EDL, I really encourage you to do some more research. Looking at the number of people on either 'side' who have been arrested is really too simplistic. It is through this kind of ignorance that racial hatred can grow.

Are you Weyman Bennett by any chance? never heard such utter nonsense in my life the EDL aren't out to cause racial hatred or cause riots or divide communities as biased left wing fascists like yourself like to make out the EDL are protesting at the Islamification of our country anyone who denies this isn't happening is deluded you only have to go into areas like Fir Vale Page Hall Abbeydale etc to see what is happening.

The EDL have the right to oppose Islam/the Islamification of our country whether you like it or not! the EDL is within it's rights to protest as long as it's in a peaceful manner the only time there are any real disturbances is when the UAF are around like in Tower Hamlets 300 arrests 286 UAF/Antifa and only 14 EDL arrests.

I suggest you take a look at yourselves for starting violence and intimidating people take the old chap that was set upon 15/1 like the cowards that they are.

Intimidation Violence Hatred all displayed in this video abuse talk about kettle calling the pot.

---------- Post added 18-09-2013 at 17:21 ----------

On paper, yes. But we know that doesn't happen.

The EDL won't encounter Muslim locals from Lane Top, just the UAF.

No but the MDL will be there of that i am certain you mark my words the UAF MDL will be out in force and i guarantee if anything kicks off it will be the UAF MDL just like in Sheffield back in June when the MDL & UAF attacked the police to try & get at EDL.

It was more of a general point to emphasise, what I think, in that it has nothing to do with race. Its a protest against religion.

Ok, I see that for you it was a general point, thanks.

However, personally I think there are strong overlaps between debates over race and religion, and between discrimination experienced by people on the grounds of either or both. The EDL likes to tell people that 'Islam isn't a race', as if that absolves them of racism or any wrongdoing. However, Islamophobia in the west, particularly after 9/11, has produced a general climate of hostility for anyone who would be perceived as a 'brown person'. So, for me, it seems that this issue has to do with both race and religion, since they're so closely intertwined.

well i hope you are wrong, i hope uaf or any other group stays away.

let them have there protest and march , then they will go, end of.

Now, if there is a counter march, then there will be trouble, as last time. both sides where fighting and calling each other and both where to blame,

But uaf where at fault as they decided to march on the day edl where, only after edl had arange the march, so basically they created the trouble by going.

!

Let's hope the EDL let the UAF hold their counter demonstration without attacking them. Then there won't be any trouble.

Typical right wing fascist behaviour, trying to suppress dissenting voices.

...the EDL aren't out to cause racial hatred or cause riots or divide communities as biased left wing fascists like yourself like to make out the EDL are protesting at the Islamification of our country

The EDL have the right to oppose Islam/the Islamification of our country whether you like it or not! the EDL is within it's rights to protest as long as it's in a peaceful manner the only time there are any real disturbances is when the UAF are around like in Tower Hamlets 300 arrests 286 UAF/Antifa and only 14 EDL arrests.

Your comments that the EDL are a peaceful bunch of protestors are completely at odds with the criminal convictions of the violent thug Tommy Robinson.

Here, check out this post:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10051233&postcount=83

Ok, I see that for you it was a general point, thanks.

However, personally I think there are strong overlaps between debates over race and religion, and between discrimination experienced by people on the grounds of either or both. The EDL likes to tell people that 'Islam isn't a race', as if that absolves them of racism or any wrongdoing. However, Islamophobia in the west, particularly after 9/11, has produced a general climate of hostility for anyone who would be perceived as a 'brown person'. So, for me, it seems that this issue has to do with both race and religion, since they're so closely intertwined.

Yes it is totally about discrimination against Islam. The debate should be about whether this is justified.

---------- Post added 18-09-2013 at 17:36 ----------

The name calling also lessens the cause for groups like UAF. Richard Dawkins is against Islam and he's hardly a knuckle dragger. Then there's people like Pamela Gella, intelligent and also no knuckle dragger.

There is an elephant in the room here.

Funnily enough he was recently refused service at Selfridge's of all places just recently (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/edl-leader-tommy-robinsons-friend-2280688).

If it was up to me I'd ban him and his vile followers from every public space in Britain.

What a ludicrous protest- the far-right EDL are already a joke but this one tops them all.

Before you make accusations i suggest it helps if you get your facts right the EDL aren't far right the EDL has many Black Jew Hindu Sikh and more nationalities that support what the EDL is fighting against.

I am glad TR is upsetting lefties like you and the pc brigade long may it continue :hihi: anyone who upsets the vile left wing morons is a friend of mine :D

The name calling also lessens the cause for groups like UAF. Richard Dawkins is against Islam and he's hardly a knuckle dragger. Then there's people like Pamela Gella, intelligent and also no knuckle dragger.

Then there's people like Tommy Robinson.

A convicted criminal and football thug. And very much a knuckle dragger.

Really, if Tommy Robinson and the EDL are the answer, it must have been a very stupid question.

Your comments that the EDL are a peaceful bunch of protestors are completely at odds with the criminal convictions of the violent thug Tommy Robinson.

Here, check out this post:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10051233&postcount=83

Change the record i never said Tommy didn't have convictions for violence or anything else like drug taking for instance.

But before taking the moral high ground take a look at the UAF and the shady characters behind them they aren't whiter than white the UAF are full of violent Fascist scum.

It always makes me chuckle how the UAF claim to be Anti Fascist and non violent yet they are the biggest Fascists set of thugs going 286 arrests out of 300 at Tower Hamlets speaks volumes it's about time the public woke up and saw them for what they are.

Thankfully alot more people saw for themselves in Sheffield in June the true colours of the UAF after they ripped up flowers in memory of Lee Rigby and also intimidated members of the public who were not even part of the EDL they spat at them and called them Nazi scum what lovely people eh :suspect:

Archived