Policing EDL at Lane Top

Doom

And, just a point, joining a local forum with a first post trying to gain support, from random strangers throughout the entire city, for a 'counter demonstration', begs the question why? You'll get the violent element from the UAF turning up and it won't be pretty.

You should realise from reading the SF that tempers in that general area are pretty inflamed right now, trying to cause further trouble is not a good course of action. I predict a riot.

Ha ha ha he says he wants to save money and hes organising a counter demonstation himself:confused::confused:

Looks like we have found the real trouble causer:rant::rant::rant:

Hi all. Some of you might have heard about the EDL's plans to protest on Saturday 21st against a rumoured plan to turn the Pheasant pub on Barnsley Road into a mosque. This story was proved not to be true, but they intend to march anyway.

As you'll have read on the Star link on the other SF thread, the EDL demo is going to cost Sheffield police a lot of money that would be better spent elsewhere in difficult times; much more importantly, it's also a threat to the local community, because the EDL is a racist organisation whose members have a history of criminal convictions for violent behaviour, including a lot of racially-aggravated crimes.

Having two big EDL demonstrations in a year in our city paints a picture of Sheffield nationally that is just false. Most of the EDL demonstrators will be coming from elsewhere in the country, looking to cause trouble rather than to make legitimate political points. They're not against Islamic extremism; they spread hatred against all Muslims, and minorities in general.

So - I thought people here might be interested in details about a counter-demonstration on the day. This is more of an announcement, but I can try to help with any questions. We will be meeting on Saturday at 1 outside the First Start Building in Firth Park, bring banners and loud voices.

Facebook event with further info

Twitter account to follow for updates on the day.

It's really important that we demonstrate together to show that the EDL and their divisive, violent beliefs aren't welcome in Sheffield, so I hope people from the forums will come to the counter-demo.

Hi all. Some of you might have heard about the EDL's plans to protest on Saturday 21st against a rumoured plan to turn the Pheasant pub on Barnsley Road into a mosque. This story was proved not to be true, but they intend to march anyway.

As you'll have read on the Star link on the other SF thread, the EDL demo is going to cost Sheffield police a lot of money that would be better spent elsewhere in difficult times; much more importantly, it's also a threat to the local community, because the EDL is a racist organisation whose members have a history of criminal convictions for violent behaviour, including a lot of racially-aggravated crimes.

Having two big EDL demonstrations in a year in our city paints a picture of Sheffield nationally that is just false. Most of the EDL demonstrators will be coming from elsewhere in the country, looking to cause trouble rather than to make legitimate political points. They're not against Islamic extremism; they spread hatred against all Muslims, and minorities in general.

So - I thought people here might be interested in details about a counter-demonstration on the day. This is more of an announcement, but I can try to help with any questions. We will be meeting on Saturday at 1 outside the First Start Building in Firth Park, bring banners and loud voices.

Facebook event with further info

Twitter account to follow for updates on the day.

It's really important that we demonstrate together to show that the EDL and their divisive, violent beliefs aren't welcome in Sheffield, so I hope people from the forums will come to the counter-demo.

All a bit silly isn't it. If you want to give the EDL max publicity and Sheffield a bad image just get a load of lefty nutters to have a street brawl with the EDL.

Great plan.

Youre the same person trying to organise a mob to turn up at firth park to caurse trouble, see his other article about counter demo, clearly your out for trouble.

The other 'mob' represents pretty much everyone else in Britain with a general sense of religious tolerance and openness, so, they probably are quite open to talking.

---------- Post added 18-09-2013 at 10:31 ----------

The counter-protest is against the EDL and its views, so it wouldn't need to happen if the EDL wasn't protesting. I think I can speak for a lot of people who will be counter-protesting in saying that we have better things to do with our Saturday afternoons that we would much rather be doing.

If the protest isn't specifically about the Pheasant, then it would cause much more less community tension and be a much better way of spreading information if the EDL were to have peaceful stalls in Fargate.

The other 'mob' represents pretty much everyone else in Britain with a general sense of religious tolerance and openness, so, they probably are quite open to talking.

The counter-protest is against the EDL and its views, so it wouldn't need to happen if the EDL wasn't protesting. I think I can speak for a lot of people who will be counter-protesting in saying that we have better things to do with our Saturday afternoons that we would much rather be doing.

If the protest isn't specifically about the Pheasant, then it would cause much more less community tension and be a much better way of spreading information if the EDL were to have peaceful stalls in Fargate.

If the EDL moved its protest to another day and just let the UAF protest on Saturday would the UAF attend the new protest as well? If they had stalls on Fargate they'd still be attacked.

Are you saying people can't protest where they like. Are there no go areas in the city?

A main cost of the last protest was for arresting many more UAF than EDL?

Just let people protest. If the population doesn't agree with them it'll all fizzle out fairly soon.

Isn't this counter demostration stuff the real reason why the police have to be out in force? You're just wanting a ruck, both sides.

If you're worried about the money it's going to cost, just don't turn up, get everyone to stay off the street and ignore them, job done!

If there's no one taking any notice of them, there's no point in them marching. You're just playing into their hands, imo.

I definitely don't want a fight. If you knew who I was then I think you would think that this was quite a funny suggestion!

I can genuinely see the reasons behind the argument that if people ignore the EDL, they will go away, and I have wondered about this. I do think antifascists need to be careful with when and how they oppose the EDL, so as to not provoke them further, or make them think that they have an 'enemy' that it is fun to fight.

Still, I don't think it's ok for the EDL to march unopposed through Sheffield, so regardless of the cost, they need to be challenged by people who show that the majority of people do not agree with their views.

It would also cause much less tension if there were no counter demonstration. Why don't you have the peaceful stalls in Fargate and show how adult you are by avoiding clashes. Or just do the things you say you'd much rather be doing and let the EDL make prats of themselves by protesting against something that isn't going to happen without an audience or an opposition to encourage them.

Regardless of cost he says....... werent you the one concerned about how much this is all going to cost etc? youre arguments floored mate you say one thing and mean another:confused:

I definitely don't want a fight. If you knew who I was then I think you would think that this was quite a funny suggestion!

I can genuinely see the reasons behind the argument that if people ignore the EDL, they will go away, and I have wondered about this. I do think antifascists need to be careful with when and how they oppose the EDL, so as to not provoke them further, or make them think that they have an 'enemy' that it is fun to fight.

Still, I don't think it's ok for the EDL to march unopposed through Sheffield, so regardless of the cost, they need to be challenged by people who show that the majority of people do not agree with their views.

Archived