Policing EDL at Lane Top

Doom

It is a lot of money, and all could be easily saved by the council issuing a statement on the lines of "No More Mosques will be built in Sheffield "

What difference would that make? The EDL are protesting about a mosque that was never going to be built in the first place?!

EDL RALLY SATURDAY @ SHEFFIELD LANE TOP

The rally was called following proposals for a disused pub to be converted into a mosque – even though plans have been dropped.

PLEASE READ THE ABOVE *PLANS HAVE BEEN DROPPED*

So no need really for anyone to turn up UAF or the EDL

So in real terms the thoughts of the residents have been heard ie Mosque NOT Required in the area and NOT going to happen so all the **** st****rs from other areas get ready because as always they will be looking to build somewhere else!

Even though they have not finished the one they started on top of the hill down Grimsthorpe,mind you i was told its coming down due to breaking away from the agreed plans re size height ;) PLEASE NOTE S5 HAS MORE THAT IT'S FAIR SHARE OF Mosques or is S5 the new Mecca ,plus with the number of hotheads in the area I'm sure in would have been made redundant in a short time

What time does it start I'm going to have a look.

Ok, I have some meetings for work now and am going to have to disappear. I'll be back later and am happy to answer any genuine questions about the protest, or about related things.

I know most people don't agree with the attitudes and ideas of the EDL, in spite of the pretty horrible stuff I see in the comments on the Star and in a few places on here, so it would be good if we could show this on Saturday. Hope you all have a good day.

I definitely don't want a fight. If you knew who I was then I think you would think that this was quite a funny suggestion!

I can genuinely see the reasons behind the argument that if people ignore the EDL, they will go away, and I have wondered about this. I do think antifascists need to be careful with when and how they oppose the EDL, so as to not provoke them further, or make them think that they have an 'enemy' that it is fun to fight.

Still, I don't think it's ok for the EDL to march unopposed through Sheffield, so regardless of the cost, they need to be challenged by people who show that the majority of people do not agree with their views.

Stupid idea!

If no-one turned up wouldn't that also show that the majority of people couldn't care less about their views?

Here's a stupid idea of my own - let's find a way of charging an 'admission fee' to those who wish to demonstrate in order to cover the costs involved.

Let's see how many actually turn up then! :rolleyes:

Can't we find a huge warehouse somewhere and get the EDL and UAF to meet there and scrap to their pathetic hearts' content? No police please and certainly no ambulances standing by.

Despite being supposedly opposed to each other, I think the EDL and UAF make perfect bed partners.

Let 'em have it!

Can't we find a huge warehouse somewhere and get the EDL and UAF to meet there and scrap to their pathetic hearts' content? No police please and certainly no ambulances standing by.

Despite being supposedly opposed to each other, I think the EDL and UAF make perfect bed partners.

Let 'em have it!

I agree, in fact the marketing rights should be sold to WWF since none of them can fight anyway!

It is easy for some to say that we should ‘ignore them and maybe they will go away’ – especially those who are not members of the communities that the EDL victimize. I’d like to make a couple of comments in favour of opposing them on Saturday.

Left to their own devices the EDL will violently run amok in a ethnically diverse neighborhood. This has been proven time and time again. Assaults occurred in Sheffield during their recent activities despite heavy police presence. Imagine what they would do if there was none to oppose them? The aim of the anti-EDL protesters is not to have a fight. It is to prompt the police into containing the EDL, preventing them from their typical acts of violence.

On a more general point, the idea that ignoring the extreme right makes it go away is just wishful thinking – recall Europe earlier in the 20th century, where the liberal establishments in many countries took a similar view before they were overthrown. Ignoring the extreme right allows it to normalise its presence and become more acceptable to those whose interests it claims to represent, growing in strength and numbers. Opposing them in large numbers prevents EDL demos from becoming part of the normal fabric of UK politics.

Not opposing the extreme right will cause harm in the short and long term. We need to unite as a community and oppose them now. It is they who have created the scenario in which policing money is being wasted; we have no choice but to respond.

Its always been my opinion that the UAF is the best recruiting means for the EDL. Little brains to be honest.

Ironically, at the public meeting at Page Hall last night it was reported that David Blunket is going to the government for funding to help solve the issues down there.

Does anyone else see the humour in this?

Archived