Rent or Buy Property?

But, by then, there might not be a Council on which to dump yourself...

It won't be long before I'm a bidster,mind you I might sell up and go and live in Turkey, live for nowt there no freezing winters and high living costs there, you can buy a nice property for very little money..thats it Ive already got my bags packed and the for sale sign will out on the front soon..:hihi:

Not true a landlord can increase the rent for whatever reason he or she likes. Inflation, cost of mortgage increase, greedy, etc etc.

They cannot if a tenancy agreement is drawn up such that rent is fixed or tied to the CPI.

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 18:28 ----------

This is not always the case. Some people quite sensibly prepare for this stage of their life by downsizing and acquiring a property that is easy to manage. They may also have savings put aside for potential repairs.

Where do you think rental properties are going to come from? There are simply not enough suitable ones. Huge waiting lists are the norm for older person Council properties. Private rentals are rarely appropriate and are very expensive. Add to this the lack of security and the older person could end up with real problems.

There will be no end of landlords willing to let to OAPs who have sold up.Most will have at least £100,000 assets to fund rents,and they will be quiet tenants likely to vacate the premises in the medium to long-term.

Shogun - I wish you well with your emigration to Turkey or wherever.

My view is that with old age approaching the best thing is to move to a suitable and manageable property before a home removal becomes too much to cope with. I sometimes watch those television programmes about moving house and can't believe the stupidity of some of the folk on them. Many are getting on and perhaps about to retire and yet they are always going on about needing space and land, even though there is usually on two of them. I can guarantee that if they get their wish within a very few years they will be finding it too much to manage and will be wanting out.

Most of the people where I live are elderly and managing very well indeed in their owner occupied bungalows. Because they are are free of mortgage and rent they can afford to have repairs done. In old age it is good to have that sense of security. I feel very sorry for all those folk who moved out to Spain and have since had to come home to very little, having sold their properties in the UK. You really don't want housing problems when you are getting on in years, and perhaps frail in health.

No Turkey would suite me down to the ground they are all on the fiddle and bent as a nine bob note there, you can bribe anyone with a back hander:hihi:,I was looking at a flat this year when I was there and a luxury flat in a new built was about £15.000-£20.000 in Altinkum..Love the place I would be right at home there.

They cannot if a tenancy agreement is drawn up such that rent is fixed or tied to the CPI.

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 18:28 ----------

There will be no end of landlords willing to let to OAPs who have sold up.Most will have at least £100,000 assets to fund rents,and they will be quiet tenants likely to vacate the premises in the medium to long-term.

Fair point but I don't know many landlords that would put that in a tenancy agreement and the way the market but if a tenant insisted on that being in the agreement most landlords would move on to the next potential tenant. 6 Month tenancy agreement with a rolling contract after. Free to up the rent whenever they choose.

Fair point but I don't know many landlords that would put that in a tenancy agreement and the way the market but if a tenant insisted on that being in the agreement most landlords would move on to the next potential tenant. 6 Month tenancy agreement with a rolling contract after. Free to up the rent whenever they choose.

Do you know many landlords and each one's modus operandi?If the applicant was mature and reliable landlords would consider more generous terms.

The government is keen to encourage longer term leases, and both parties benefit, the landlord gets a predictable let for longer, the tenant has security of tenure.

I'd be happy to offer a longer term lease, in fact I did, my current tenants prefer to stay on a rolling monthly as they don't know when they will want to move on.

There are pro's and con's to both actually

Owning

Pro's: The mortgage, its yours after 25 years, you have an investment

Con's: What happens if you get laid off?, costs to repair

Renting

Pro's: Easy to get up and go without the hassle of selling,

Con's: Its never yours, you're paying out hard earned money for something for nothing, Landlords are generally awful and won't get repairs done unless its the council

Feel free to add etc...

There are pro's and con's to both actually

Owning

Pro's: The mortgage, its yours after 25 years, you have an investment

Con's: What happens if you get laid off?, costs to repair

Renting

Pro's: Easy to get up and go without the hassle of selling,

Con's: Its never yours, you're paying out hard earned money for something for nothing, Landlords are generally awful and won't get repairs done unless its the council

Feel free to add etc...

How many landlords do you know-your comment is libelous to many.

Interesting thing libel, turns out you can libel a group of people. That statement however isn't libellous.

For a statement to be defamatory the imputation must tend to lower the claimant in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally. Even if the words damage a person in the eyes of a section of society or the community, they are not defamatory unless they amount to a disparagement of the reputation in the eyes of right-thinking people generally.

Archived