Should all dogs be muzzled in public places ?

Should all dogs be muzzled in public places?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should all dogs be muzzled in public places?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm not sure, see my comment.

Agreed,they are dirty animals and seem to attack people on a regular basis.

There are 8.5 million dogs in the UK. Your job is to back up what you say and find how many dog attacks make up your "regular" assumption.

I do think dog owners should be punished for the actions of their dog though.

For example if you have an out of control dog off lead and it attacks someone in a public place it should be no different than if you have attacked them with a deadly weapon and punished appropriately. I also think that rule should apply to motorists as well.

I don't think all dogs should be muzzled but I definitely think that the dangerous breeds such as staffies and rottweilers should. Come to think of it, their owners should be muzzled too as the only reason people own staffies is because they want to look hard!

Are rottweilers actually dangerous?

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 15:38 ----------

There are 8.5 million dogs in the UK. Your job is to back up what you say and find how many dog attacks make up your "regular" assumption.

For example if you have an out of control dog off lead and it attacks someone in a public place it should be no different than if you have attacked them with a deadly weapon and punished appropriately. I also think that rule should apply to motorists as well.

My car is very well behaved and has never shown any inclination to attack anyone.

My bike on the other hand is very unfriendly and I always keep it locked in a cage when I can.

I don't think all dogs should be muzzled but I definitely think that the dangerous breeds such as staffies and rottweilers should.

Dangerous examples perhaps as not all Staffs are and likewise Rottweilers.

Come to think of it, their owners should be muzzled too as the only reason people own staffies is because they want to look hard!

That's just a forum generalisation and a dumb one at that.

This is in reply to a few threads on here atm.

I do agree that any breed can be nasty if the owners are incompetent, though it's not really the dogs fault. So given that is it time for all breeds to be muzzled in public ? And any owner not complying has their dog/s taken from them ?

It's a yes from me.

No , not all dogs should. For example i have border collie`s , one of the softest dogs you could ever happen to meet . why should they be muzzled because of the actions of more vicious breeds like Staffy`s and Pitbulls. ?

No , not all dogs should. For example i have border collie`s , one of the softest dogs you could ever happen to meet . why should they be muzzled because of the actions of more vicious breeds like Staffy`s and Pitbulls. ?

Because as a breed they are hyper and according to breed rescues are very likely to bite, that would be one reason ;)

Here you go.

http://www.ukandspain.com/dangerous-dogs/

28,000 and 19,000 requiring plastic surgery,and thats just facial attacks.

Here you go.

Congratulations! You opted for the site displaying exaggrated figures. Roughly how many did you search before finding one with numbers that made you punch the air with delight.

---------- Post added 26-09-2013 at 00:10 ----------

What a load of tosh!

Evidence please.

My border collie is as soft as a brush.

Exactly my point (I knew someone would take it up). The overal concensus is that ALL staffies are bad which we know is not true but doesn't it rile people when you pick on a not so innocent border collie and label them all as biters.

The dogs that hit the news are examples of a breed; whichever that might be that has bitten. Collies are no different a search will show you that. Yours along with Penistones are good examples of the breed, there are many that aren't.

Your reaction is no different from someone with a well behaved Staffy or Akita or Shepherd. Why should THEY sit back and listen to the tosh that spews from people on here.

Here you go.

The latest data shows that 6,447 people were admitted to hospital for dog bites in 2011-12.

Injuries sustained from dog strikes or bites resulted in nearly 6,500 hospital admissions in England last year - with children under 10 accounting for around one in every six admissions.

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/article/2100/Admission-rates-for-dog-bites-and-strikes-highest-among-young-children-with-under-10s-accounting-for-one-in-six-admissions

My Maths may be crap but I`ll have a go.

Out of 8500000 dogs 6447 people went to hospital with dog bites.

I reckon that`s less than 0.075% of the dog/owner population are guilty including those where the dog is hit/teased/poked/or just defending itself. Or you have a 0.001% chance of getting bitten in the UK at a population of 63 Million. (If that`s right!!)

Is that a regular occurrence?

Let`s put some perspective on that.

The total number of dog-bite related deaths in England and Wales in 2010 was three. To put that in perspective, there were 655 stair-related fatalities and 1,970 transport-related (autos, motorbikes, bicycles, etc.) fatalities that same year.

You can see how many die from different things here...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/oct/28/mortality-statistics-causes-death-england-wales-2010

Dog bites are just an anomaly that the media jumps on because they are rare. Can you Imagine If they reported every car death in the same way. There would be nothing but car crashes on the TV every single day.

0.00000476% chance of being killed by a dog if you live in the UK

0.00317% chance of being killed by a car if you live in the UK.

What a load of tosh!

Evidence please.

My border collie is as soft as a brush.

Many are, many aren't.

All breeds are capable of biting.

Hell, only time i've ran from a dog was when two yorkies took a liking to my ankles, i hopped on a wall rather than defend myself. :hihi:

Archived