Charnlies breadcakes

madango

Directories show "Mrs Gladys M. Charnley, shopkeeper" at 8 Bodmin Street. A bit of quick online research shows that she was born Gladys May Booth in 1897 and lived on Parkside Road, Hillsborough. She married Jack Charnley in 1942 and died in 1964.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mandango,

It was my grandmother who owned the shop at the corner of Bodmin Street. Gladys Charnley - She was married to Anthony. My father was their son Jack - he played for Rotherham.

There were stables to the rear of the shop - seemed strange in Attercliffe - but my grandmother's family ran a haulage company using horses at one time.

hi that's true I worked for Baltic bakery and remember that shop used to make out the order for the driver j

I bet you can remember the brown sisters:

---------- Post added 14-11-2013 at 15:49 ----------

Hi Mandango,

It was my grandmother who owned the shop at the corner of Bodmin Street. Gladys Charnley - She was married to Anthony. My father was their son Jack - he played for Rotherham.

There were stables to the rear of the shop - seemed strange in Attercliffe - but my grandmother's family ran a haulage company using horses at one time.

there were stables at the top of Bakers street ,frank and ernest/ frankern moters were there when they first started also owned sheff auto hire

Archived