Can anybody remember butlers cafe?

jauntyone

Does anyone remember butlers cafe in sheffield, I beleive it was near the Jessops Hospital.

People say it was a real greasy spoon type cafe but they did very good bacon sandwiches.

Just where was it???????????:huh::(

Used to go in for a huge lunch after visiting the antenatal clinic at Jessops. No wonder my son weighed over 10lbs. when he was born!

I don't remember this place but my partner has mentioned what a great cafe it was,and how fantastic the pies were.According to him,Piccasso ate there once in the fifties!

Picasso DID eat there.He was a member of a delegation to a large peace conference in Sheffield. He even drew a dove on a paper napkin.

• 1 month later...

We used to go for breakfast every morning in Butlers 1958 we worked as van boys and drivers for the Don Bakery ;my favourite was a dripping cake with jelly from the dish bottom and a pint mug of tea lots of salt on the dripping.You went in one door out of another;Steve stood behind a counter in the window;I remember a picture on the wall of an urchin with a toothless grin it was captioned[WHO SAID PIE]happy days long gone.

Yes i can, fantastic dolops of great food, a transport type cafe for everyone on low budget, i used to take my wife...with pride.... now we use top resterants, but butlers was great..........as well as joes........

I remember joes. Full meal for 3 shillings and 6 pence back in the sixties. Used to go there when I was attending university. Every meal, no matter what, contained a square of batter pudding. It was yorkshire pudding without any fluffiness. He used to put threepenny bits, probably unwashed, in his Christmas pudding. His meat and potato pie was great.

I used to go to Butlers when I worked at Southgrove Engineering (a garage) next door in Siddal St in the mid sixties We used to get the meat and potato pie as a take away. They would serve it up on a plate then put another plate on top, no plastic cartons in those days! They would even loan you the knife and fork :)

• 1 month later...