Looking for a good steak in Sheffield

McSnifferson

Don't waste your money!..........Google... "Pampas Plains" and buy fantastic steaks online.

I have bought for a while and never had as good steaks around these parts!.....not cheap but the very best! (All the big nobs buy from them ,probably some little nobs as well!)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had a meal with family at the Gypsy Queen near Crystal peaks and, although the meal was nice, the beef ( i like and ordered med-rare) was very tough, a relative agreed.

Does anyone know of a reasonably-priced place to eat a really good steak, cooked accurately to your tastes and has a great reputation?

I've always been a fan of Gaucho's (Manchester and Leeds) but I went to the one in Manchester last week and although the steaks were very good the overall thing was vastly overrated and overpriced. I wouldn't rush back tbh.

I'm not quite sure. The first time I tried Gaucho's it was in The Netherlands. I had no idea how amazing beef can be, especially Argentinian beef. I think the way they cook this is also different to how we cook a steak in Britain or in France. I do rate how the French cook the steaks, and it is quite perfect.

I do not mind paying the price, if it was done in perfection. The standard in Sheffield keep in dropping and dropping, and yes, I guess they need to cater for the local's personalised taste bud or something, even if they do not actually will go back to the same restaurant again. Then the business do not get any more customers and even the top chefs just fall below par by "Sheffield's standard"

---------- Post added 21-01-2014 at 14:30 ----------

I recently had a meal with family at the Gypsy Queen near Crystal peaks and, although the meal was nice, the beef ( i like and ordered med-rare) was very tough, a relative agreed.

Does anyone know of a reasonably-priced place to eat a really good steak, cooked accurately to your tastes and has a great reputation?

Because of all the mediocrity in this city, I normally just fall back on Cafe Rouge. Sad but true !

I cannot remember the last place I had a good steak. I am looking at the grill place in Leopold Sq. Or sometimes the higher end hotels should have a decent kitchen. I do recommend the chefs in Leopold Hotel too. Worth asking, cos they are a few of the boutique hotels in the UK, and their standards are fairly high. Or let's put it this way, they "should" be, as they have not lost their ratings yet.

http://www.tropeiro.co.uk/

Have you tried The Ridgeway Arms at the end of White Lane ?

They do some good steaks there...... 8oz, 10oz or if you can manage it a 22oz.

Price for the 22oz with all the trimmings is about £15.99.

They do burgers, mixed grills, Lamb.............the place is always busy.

JOHN HABS

Don't waste your money!..........Google... "Pampas Plains" and buy fantastic steaks online.

I have bought for a while and never had as good steaks around these parts!.....not cheap but the very best! (All the big nobs buy from them ,probably some little nobs as well!)

Why buy online? just nip to grenoside,norfolk hill and buy a steak from wasteneys butchers,local beasts all done on the premises,you will not get any better.

this statement is just....incredible. perhaps i am reading it wrong....you are so sick of mediocre food you deliberately head to the absolute epitome of mediocrity?

If I cannot find any decent places, nor do I trust any more of these reviews which were biased or wrong, and that I still crave for a steak, then this is my only choice. I have to say, this is in Sheffield only. If I was working away from home again and living elsewhere, I would normally try out the other foodie reviews which are more credible.

Like this one.

http://worldfoodieguide.wordpress.com/2007/11/28/gaucho-argentinian-steakhouse-review-2007-london-england-710-by-helen-yuet-ling-pang/

http://worldfoodieguide.wordpress.com/?s=steak

If I was on the road and I was really hungry, what do I do ? I have to find somewhere to eat. I try to find the less mediocre restaurants around. To be honest with you, if I did not try it before then how can I hands on heart tell you what the standard was like ? I do not label it mediocre for the sake of it you know.