Why is the Labour Conference in Brighton?

So, why is the Labour Conference in Brighton? Brighton is the playground for wealthy Londoners, there is plenty of money down there compared to cash-starved northern 'resorts', so why are Labour putting money in to Brighton's coffers instead of more needy places? It doesn't seem very socially responsible to me.

As you say, it's a haven for wealthy lefties from London and the south east. If they had it in Blackpool or Skeggy they'd have to put up with awful bigoted people like that Gillian Reynolds telling them they wanted immigration stopped and to leave the EU. The last thing any Labour MP wants is to come into contact with any genuine working class people.

in the last 5 years they've been in manchester 3 times, liverpool once and brighton once (prior to this year)

surprising as it may seem, they do have delegates/supporters down south as well as up north

it is easier to get to brighton from london than it is to get to manchester

They don't have the conference facilities?

they don't have enough hotel spaces either - although ed m's welcome to use my caravan if they do decide to go to skeg

---------- Post added 24-09-2013 at 12:23 ----------

But most Labour MPs (and therefore, Labour members) come from North of London. Blackpool and Manchester are far easier to get to.

which is why the previous three conferences were manchester, liverpool, manchester

admittedly they don't seem to have been to leeds or birmingham or newcastle for example but they do swap between the north and south fairly regularly

not including the welsh mp's and making allowances for my sketchy geographical knowledge of some constituency names - there are about 50 labour mp's with constituencies south of birmingham so it is reasonable to assume that labour would visit the south every now and then

Archived