Old street sign

Lushcannon

• 4 months later...

I realise this is a few months after your post, but I've only just stumbled across it.

This is of interest to me as I've been trying to track down and photograph the blue enamel signs (which I'm presuming this one is?) which are still in situ on the streets of Sheffield. I was drawn to them as there's something unexpectedly elegant and vaguely Parisian about them.

May I ask how and where you came across it? Is it in your possession, or did you see it for sale somewhere?

In answer to your question as to dating the sign, my research so far has shown that the blue signs were definitely erected towards the end of the 19th Century and into the 20th - I have been able to date this from Peter Harvey's 'Street Names Of Sheffield' Book which has an appendix listing Sheffield streets which changed their names and the dates they changed - two of which have blue enamel signs (Montgomery Terrace Rd (1890) and Scarsdale Rd (1903)).

I have also come across them on unexpectedly on more later, 1930s semis which I'm guessing may have been originally built as council houses (Yew Lane, Ecclesfield and Heavygate Ave, Crookes).

Havelock Square itself doesn't exist anymore - as I understand it there was a problem with that area of Broomhall in the 1980s, it was the Red Light District and there were a number of shebeens and communes in Havelock Sq and surrounding roads - the council mounted a 'clean-up' operation in the 80s including renaming what was Havelock Sq 'Holberry Gardens' after Sheffield Chartist leader Samuel Holberry.

I think that area of Broomhall was built in the mid-to-late 1800s and there are still remaining blue signs on the streets around (Collegiate Crescent, Broomhall St, Broomspring Lane and several on Glossop Rd).

Hope that this information is of use, and that you might be able to supply some useful information in return!

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 15:38 ----------

Also - if anyone knows of the location of any blue enamel street signs that I may have missed then I'd be grateful - so far the ones I've managed to find are (alphabetically):

Argyle Road

Balaclava Road

Blake Street

Brooklyn Road

Broomhall Road

Broomspring Lane

Burcot Road

Chesterfield Road

Collegiate Crescent

Cotton Mill Walk (on the Fat Cat)

Cowlishaw Road

Crookes Rd

Crummock Road

Glossop Rd x 4

Green Lane

Heavygate Avenue

Infirmary Road

Keeton’s Hill

London Road (on the Cremorne)

Loxley Road

Mansfield Road

Middlewood Road - nr Hillsborough Park entrance

Montgomery Terrace Rd

New Street (off Bank Street)

Norton Lees Road x2

Oakland Road

Penistone Road North

Pinstone St

Richmond Road

Ripley St

Rippon Road

Saville Street East (in Kelham Island Museum)

Scarsdale Road

Stalker Lees Rd x 2

Staniforth Road

Steel Road

Taplin Road

Terrace Walk

Thompson Road

Vickers Road

Victoria Road

Vivian Road

West Bar

West St (on Aslans)

Westbourne Road

Whitehouse Lane

Wilkinson Street

Woodseats Road

Wyming Brook Drive

Yew Lane

any not on that list would be gratefully received...

Edited by ponyharvest

• 1 year later...
I realise this is a few months after your post, but I've only just stumbled across it.

This is of interest to me as I've been trying to track down and photograph the blue enamel signs (which I'm presuming this one is?) which are still in situ on the streets of Sheffield. I was drawn to them as there's something unexpectedly elegant and vaguely Parisian about them.

May I ask how and where you came across it? Is it in your possession, or did you see it for sale somewhere?

In answer to your question as to dating the sign, my research so far has shown that the blue signs were definitely erected towards the end of the 19th Century and into the 20th - I have been able to date this from Peter Harvey's 'Street Names Of Sheffield' Book which has an appendix listing Sheffield streets which changed their names and the dates they changed - two of which have blue enamel signs (Montgomery Terrace Rd (1890) and Scarsdale Rd (1903)).

I have also come across them on unexpectedly on more later, 1930s semis which I'm guessing may have been originally built as council houses (Yew Lane, Ecclesfield and Heavygate Ave, Crookes).

Havelock Square itself doesn't exist anymore - as I understand it there was a problem with that area of Broomhall in the 1980s, it was the Red Light District and there were a number of shebeens and communes in Havelock Sq and surrounding roads - the council mounted a 'clean-up' operation in the 80s including renaming what was Havelock Sq 'Holberry Gardens' after Sheffield Chartist leader Samuel Holberry.

I think that area of Broomhall was built in the mid-to-late 1800s and there are still remaining blue signs on the streets around (Collegiate Crescent, Broomhall St, Broomspring Lane and several on Glossop Rd).

Hope that this information is of use, and that you might be able to supply some useful information in return!

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 15:38 ----------

Also - if anyone knows of the location of any blue enamel street signs that I may have missed then I'd be grateful - so far the ones I've managed to find are (alphabetically):

Balaclava Rd

Broomhall Road

Broomspring Lane

Burcot Road

Chesterfield Road

Collegiate Crescent

Cotton Mill Walk (on the Fat Cat)

Cowlishaw Road

Crookes Rd

Crummock Road

Glossop Rd x 4

Green Lane

Heavygate Avenue

Infirmary Road

Keeton’s Hill

London Road (on the Cremorne)

Loxley Road

Mansfield Road

Middlewood Road - nr Hillsborough Park entrance

Montgomery Terrace Rd

New Street (off Bank Street)

Oakland Road

Penistone Road North

Pinstone St

Ripley St

Scarsdale Road

Stalker Lees Rd x 2

Staniforth Road

Taplin Road

Terrace Walk

Thompson Road

Vickers Road

Vivian Road

West Bar

West St (on Aslans)

Westbourne Road

Whitehouse Lane

Wyming Brook Drive

Yew Lane

any not on that list would be gratefully received...

Sorry for the delay.

A friend of mines father in law died and it was in his house among his collection of transport etc.I was offered it for £50 but declined-it was a while ago now.

• 2 weeks later...
I spotted a blue sign yesterday not on ponyharvest's list - Victoria St, the sign is on the Bath Hotel.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy! I actually snapped this one a month or so ago, I came across it by accident when looking a good website called 'Heritage Pub Interiors'

which the Bath Hotel is on (along with other Sheffield pubs, worth a look - won't let me post a link as I haven't done enough posts on here...) - but I spotted the blue sign by chance on the photo of the pub on that site...

Thanks very much for the interest though, the list was actually quite out of date as I've come across or been sent a fair few more since I posted it, so I have now updated it. Keep your eyes peeled and if you spot any more please let me know... Cheers

---------- Post added 15-06-2015 at 14:37 ----------

Sorry for the delay.

A friend of mines father in law died and it was in his house among his collection of transport etc.I was offered it for £50 but declined-it was a while ago now.

No worries. Thanks for the info - do you still have it then??

Keep your eyes peeled and if you spot any more please let me know... Cheers

I know there is a 5th one on Glossop Rd. They're on the corners with Ashdell Road, College St, Broomspring Lane, Wilkinson St and Leavy Greave.

Andy