Old shops in the Wicker

iansheff

To hillsbro, lakerman, Texas and johnpm. When I came out of the Army I also went to Arnold Scholey the dentist as did my mother. I have mentioned this before, just around the corner from the Herbalist and with Arnold upstairs, Kathleen Scholey had a double fronted dress shop on the short street that adjoined Rushby, it might have been the continuation of Hinde House Lane or it might have been called it Barretta St (or none of the above).

The Pet Shop belonged to John Hutchinson.My Uncle Harry Moore who bred budgies at his home on Petre St knew John, who persuaded Harry to give up his job as a British Rail goods Scammel lorry driver at Bridgehouses to go & work for him in 1959. He worked in the shop & delivered pets. The shop closed about 1980 & Harry lost his job & had to find another one delivering stainless kitchen units. He would almost certainly have been better off financially staying with BR!

Well I never! Someone in my family knew Mr Hutchinson and got me a Saturday job at his shop in t'Wicker. This would have been around '64/'65. Hutchinson clearly didn't take to me and banished me to the cellar to weigh out bone-meal into 2lb bags all day. Harry Moore and the rest of the staff were really nice, as was Hutchinson's daughter. Coincidentally my grandparents lived on Petre Street. Eventually I was transferred to another Hutchinson shop in Darnall run by lovely old ladies called Rose, Violet and Ivy. This shop was a corn chandlers rather than a pet shop. It sold corn, wheat, millet, etc by the sackload, also dog biscuits [Vims?] by the hundredweight and also hemp seed. Not sure what that was for.

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 01:22 ----------

Arnold Scholey was a dentist whose main practice was above the herbalists at 11 Rushby St - he was my dentist from 1956 until he sold the practice about 1970. His brother called Sam I think ran the herbalists. Arnold also had a practice for a while at Grenoside ( junction of Halifax Rd & Hilltop rd I recall as I went there once).

However, Arnold also ran a pub - The Fountain at Ingbirchworth near Penistone which always had a reputation for good food. I remember him taking home a tray of bread buns from the bakers across the other side of Rushby St!

Did he also have a practice on Richmond Road? I'm sure when I was a teenager my dentist was Arnold Scholey and I certainly went to a place on Richmond Rd on the left heading from Handsworth to Woodthorpe, top of the hill before it dropped down to the Richmond Hotel [Wards] and the shops. None of his fillings ever fell out.

Correction - Arnold Scholey was my mum's dentist when we lived in Grimesthorpe. The dentist on Richmond Road was a Mr Saylis [or Salis]

Edited by PaulSH
New info

Well I never! Someone in my family knew Mr Hutchinson and got me a Saturday job at his shop in t'Wicker. This would have been around '64/'65. Hutchinson clearly didn't take to me and banished me to the cellar to weigh out bone-meal into 2lb bags all day. Harry Moore and the rest of the staff were really nice, as was Hutchinson's daughter. Coincidentally my grandparents lived on Petre Street. Eventually I was transferred to another Hutchinson shop in Darnall run by lovely old ladies called Rose, Violet and Ivy. This shop was a corn chandlers rather than a pet shop. It sold corn, wheat, millet, etc by the sackload, also dog biscuits [Vims?] by the hundredweight and also hemp seed. Not sure what that was for.

....the lovely Jeanette?

The Pet Shop belonged to John Hutchinson.My Uncle Harry Moore who bred budgies at his home on Petre St knew John, who persuaded Harry to give up his job as a British Rail goods Scammel lorry driver at Bridgehouses to go & work for him in 1959. He worked in the shop & delivered pets. The shop closed about 1980 & Harry lost his job & had to find another one delivering stainless kitchen units. He would almost certainly have been better off financially staying with BR!

there was a parrot in there that swore like a trooper lolol