Firemen strike over gold plated pensions

you a wanna be fireman mate, speculation.. yeh ok...:huh:

---------- Post added 29-09-2013 at 14:56 ----------

yes people can take a second job, usually when they have a part time job, these people usually work for a going rate and pay tax.. where firemen work for peanuts and dont pay tax on it.. fact.

If that's a fact, and you can prove it, then report them to HMRC who I'm sure will have something to say about the tax issue.

I don't want to be a fireman thanks.

If that's a fact, and you can prove it, then report them to HMRC who I'm sure will have something to say about the tax issue.

I don't want to be a fireman thanks.

yeh, Im making it up.. they of course pay tax on their cash jobs...:help: anyway, done with this thread, but you should go stand in the builders merchants in the morning and listen to the support the firemen get in there..lol.. hope they dont go in with a collection bucket if they go on strike.. ;)

From what I can gather, firemen are striking to protect their pension, some firemen it won't affect because they will have served their time and taking redundancy, however they will be in support for the ones it will affect.

I presume they go through a lot of training exercises at stations with different scenarios in disasters, I'm sure this won't be easy and as such they will be placed in buildings where exits will be blocked off, intense heat etc, you would have to be pretty fit in these scenarios, but a fireman in mid to late 50s may not be as fit as someone in their 30s which is why most firemen retire early 50s.

Bit going back to training I would also assume someone has to asses performance and whoever that is has a responsibility because in a real life situation if a fireman got into a questionable situation who would the blame be laid at?

Also our firemen are one of the first on the scene in traffic accidents having to cut live as well as dead people out of vehicles, they do a brilliant job, I agree they should fight for what they have been doing, blame the government not the firemen.

Just like our troops, will they expect them to be on the front line at the age of 60?

From what I can gather, firemen are striking to protect their pension, some firemen it won't affect because they will have served their time and taking redundancy, however they will be in support for the ones it will affect.

I presume they go through a lot of training exercises at stations with different scenarios in disasters, I'm sure this won't be easy and as such they will be placed in buildings where exits will be blocked off, intense heat etc, you would have to be pretty fit in these scenarios, but a fireman in mid to late 50s may not be as fit as someone in their 30s which is why most firemen retire early 50s.

Bit going back to training I would also assume someone has to asses performance and whoever that is has a responsibility because in a real life situation if a fireman got into a questionable situation who would the blame be laid at?

Also our firemen are one of the first on the scene in traffic accidents having to cut live as well as dead people out of vehicles, they do a brilliant job, I agree they should fight for what they have been doing, blame the government not the firemen.

Just like our troops, will they expect them to be on the front line at the age of 60?

I don't see the problem of retirement at 60. Most folk are fit particularly if you've worked in that sort of regime. There are loads of jobs in the service that don't require climbing out of 10th floor windows with a woman over your shoulder. I know retired firemen who work as pall bearers at funeral directors now they have retired from the service. That has to be harder than sitting behind a desk monitoring where your fire engines are being deployed.

Well its just been on the lunch time news that the pension is around £19000 a year at present rates.

If so then this is much more than lots of low paid workers earn for a full 40 hour week.

So whats wrong is it the puplic sector pensions that are to high or the low pay of so many working people.

Let them pay into their own private pension if they require a pension pot. Anyone else losing their job at that age would be expected to retrain to a less strenuous job until reaching state pension age.

Let them pay into their own private pension if they require a pension pot. Anyone else losing their job at that age would be expected to retrain to a less strenuous job until reaching state pension age.

Many building workers are knackered long before they reach any thing like sixty five and most have no fancy pension to fall back on so have to find a job that does not require as much physical effort .

Still thats not a romantic occupation that can sway the publics sympathy.

Archived