Firemen strike over gold plated pensions

Who do you think I am Carol Vorderman, :hihi: Seriously tho some thought along the lines I have spoken about should be done, the old are working and the young are just having a laugh, well most of them, end this Chavism culture we have.:huh:

What is the employment/unemployment rate of 'the young' then if 'most of them' aren't working?

so the firemen are striking today over their gold plated public sector pensions eh?:roll: another example of the unionized working sector creating an unnecessary disruption & possible danger to the general public :roll:

although firemen i agree have a very difficult job at times, a lot of the time is spent doing general maintenance of hydrants & fire prevention etc and to be able to retire at just after 50 on a very good pension seems like a good option to me, especially as most firemen i know have been moonlighting for years in other jobs.

they are only striking to protect what was promised to them when they took the job on

ie pay and conditions

they are only striking to protect what was promised to them when they took the job on

ie pay and conditions

When they took the

Job on it was probably under weak labour now we cannot aford this early pension pot , times change and so do pay and conditions if you don't like it there is always the dole !!!!!!!!!!

ie pay and conditions

That's pretty much the situation everyone is in. The pensions we signed up to were not sustainable, so the final salary index linked pensions that we have paid into for decades have been changed and retirement ages increased.

Welcome to the real world.

That's pretty much the situation everyone is in. The pensions we signed up to were not sustainable, so the final salary index linked pensions that we have paid into for decades have been changed and retirement ages increased.

Welcome to the real world.

Good post and when you think they have been offered a pension of around 26k at 60 not bad eh ? The

Normal working man would be hard pushed to have enough in a private pension to command that amount!!!!!

Good post and when you think they have been offered a pension of around 26k at 60 not bad eh ? The

Normal working man would be hard pushed to have enough in a private pension to command that amount!!!!!

£26K pension for a basic fireman, if that's right there is no wonder we haven't heard many details.

Let everybody in this country retire at fifty they have done their bit and give the youngens a chance to do their bit.

Why not; If they can afford it?

Or if the nation can afford it?

ONS reveals full UK pension liabilities

The results showed the extraordinary sums that Britain has committed to pay its future retirees. In total, the UK is committed to paying £7.1 trillion in pensions to people who are currently either already retired or still in the workforce.

This is equivalent to nearly five times the UK’s total economic output.

LINK

Or 7 times the current official national debt.

But hey, it's only money isn't it?

Pension commission's job: To avert national bankruptcy [bBC News]

Ahhh...

Who do you think I am Carol Vorderman

The thought never entered my mind. :P

The article I read this morning said that they wanted a 40% pay rise for the London cost of living, and "only" got 16%. Are they striking over this or the issue about being too old to carry people down ladders, or both?

I thought it was more to do with being forced out of the service before they can reach retirement age.

Archived