Firemen strike over gold plated pensions

When they took the

Job on it was probably under weak labour now we cannot aford this early pension pot , times change and so do pay and conditions if you don't like it there is always the dole !!!!!!!!!!

Contracts don't change unless both parties agree to it. That's the nature of a contract.

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 11:55 ----------

Or if the nation can afford it?

LINK

Or 7 times the current official national debt.

But hey, it's only money isn't it?

Pension commission's job: To avert national bankruptcy [bBC News]

Ahhh...

The thought never entered my mind. :P

Paying that amount over what time period? This is just a scaremongering number that is effectively meaningless.

I'm not surprised. Gold plate is near worthless. Only people who are ignorant of it's real worth are envious of it.

lets be clear here, public opinion is based on a comparison between what you get compared to a fireman.

Fire fighters pension at 60 = £26,000 pa inc state pension

Average State pension at 65+ = £5,727.80 pa

Seems like another group of public sector works are crying into their solid gold, jewell encrusted pension pots to me!

This is an interesting letter sent to the firefighters last month: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/230496/130820_-_BL_-_open_letter_to_firefighters__2_.pdf

Are you willing to do a job that could put your life at risk?

I would be more willing to give them a pay rise than our MPs.

I was a regular soldier but because I left before April 1975 and had not served 22 years not a day of my service counted as pensionable.

During my years many soldiers were killed whilst on duty.

Whilst I do not begrudge firemen a fair pension let us examine facts and not use emotional blackmail.

£26K pension for a basic fireman, if that's right there is no wonder we haven't heard many details.

Basic starting salary for a trainee fireman is over £21,000 per year which rises to over £28,000 once training is completed. A fireman starting a 30 year career will expect to rise through the ranks and be earning at least £40,000 a year at retirement (at today's prices).

At 55 he can currently retire on 40/60ths of FINAL SALARY index linked. So a fireman who has contributed 13% of his salary over 30 years would expect to have contributed in the region of £100,000 (at today's prices) and draw an index linked pension of approx £25080 pa for the 30 years he would be expected to live. (£752,000)

That is the pension from the career and does not include state pensions or any other benefits.

Archived