Firemen strike over gold plated pensions

I was a regular soldier but because I left before April 1975 and had not served 22 years not a day of my service counted as pensionable.

Don't you think that is pitiful? I, and I'm sure most people would not object to soldiers getting:

1. A good pension

2. A good salary that reflects the danger of their job.

It appears after fighting for your country, you now have to fight for your pension. A good cause for Joanna Lumley.

I was a regular soldier but because I left before April 1975 and had not served 22 years not a day of my service counted as pensionable.

During my years many soldiers were killed whilst on duty.

Whilst I do not begrudge firemen a fair pension let us examine facts and not use emotional blackmail.

Nobody is using emotional blackmail. Why haven't you taken steps to change the situation?

Genuine question.. how many firefighters have died in the uk "in the line of duty" this year compared to other occupations?

They COULD be killed is all that matters.

How many professions do you know that deliberately put their lives at risk when they go into a burning burning? Would you?

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 13:00 ----------

Firemen are massively overpaid. There is no shortage of people who would be happy to become firemen at significantly lower wages and benefits.

The real problem is there are too many people who have over the years been kicked in the face as a result of having their pension reduced and final salary pension taken away, and therefore object that others haven't.

Seriously they do a brilliant job as do loads of other professions, I would think off shore fishermen, roofers, construction workers all have high mortality rates.

"In Great Britain, on average 50 people are killed every year as a result of a fall from height, with almost 9,000 seriously injured. The roofing industry is one particular sector in which falls from height are prevalent."

Archived