Firemen strike over gold plated pensions

That argument could be out forward every time MPs ask for a pay rise.

You're right, it could. But being an MP is a much harder job and a harder job to get than fireman. There are only 650 MPs compared to approximately 44300 Firefighters. All those pensions cost the UK public a hell of a lot of money, and a hell of a lot of work.

Are you willing to do a job that could put your life at risk?

I would be more willing to give them a pay rise than our MPs.

I do many courses in my line of work.A lot of the courses I do are based in the local fire station (because it's cheaper and the facilities are good) I can honestly say it must be quite boring being a fire fighter. A full week there on a course and not one call-out.2-3 day courses and no call-outs.

The role of the fire fighter has changed a lot over the years.

Chip pan fires are rare now and cigarette related fires are too.

I personally think their budget should be slashed and the savings should be handed over to the Ambulance service who receive by far the most call-outs.

Or maybe adopt the American model where their fire department double up as paramedics..(if i'm correct?)

lets be clear here, public opinion is based on a comparison between what you get compared to a fireman.

Fire fighters pension at 60 = £26,000 pa inc state pension

Average State pension at 65+ = £5,727.80 pa

Not a comparison of like for like at all though.

The state pension is not at all related to a pension provided after employment.

Anyone on a final salary scheme (which are generally now closed I know, but that's a recent change) will be hoping for a similar amount I'd think. It's hardly unusual to be earning 50k by retirement age when the national average is about 25k.

Seems like another group of public sector works are crying into their solid gold, jewell encrusted pension pots to me!

This is an interesting letter sent to the firefighters last month: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/230496/130820_-_BL_-_open_letter_to_firefighters__2_.pdf

Doesn't sound very gold plated to me, with the exception of the comparatively early retirement age.

Anyone can stand for office in this country. You don't have to be selected.

No, anyone can be nominated, however, you have to be selected for the actual position, by your constituency party.

There are never shortages of people wanting to be MPs, fortunately we only need 650 of them, which is far too many and why the boundaries are changing, to combine some of the constituencies to reduce the number of MPs.

It's a case of too many MPs and too little work.

No, anyone can be nominated, however, you have to be selected for the actual position, by your constituency party.

There are never shortages of people wanting to be MPs, fortunately we only need 650 of them, which is far too many and why the boundaries are changing, to combine some of the constituencies to reduce the number of MPs.

It's a case of too many MPs and too little work.

You don't have to be a party member to stand as a prospective MP...

Archived