Firemen strike over gold plated pensions

No one seems to be giving details of the present pension.

Well its just been on the lunch time news that the pension is around £19000 a year at present rates.

If so then this is much more than lots of low paid workers earn for a full 40 hour week.

So whats wrong is it the puplic sector pensions that are to high or the low pay of so many working people.

You have to be nominated by 10 people in your constituency and put up the £500 deposit. Anyone can stand, they do not have to be nominated by a political party.

That's right you can be a prospective MP, which is completely different to being an MP. Remind me how many Independent MPs are there currently are in the House of Commons.

Very few, I wonder why that is?

How will they change the country if they can't form a party and get a majority?

That's right you can be a prospective MP, which is completely different to being an MP. Remind me how many Independent MPs are there currently are in the House of Commons.

Very few, I wonder why that is?

Because most people are apathetic and just like to moan about things...

so the firemen are striking today over their gold plated public sector pensions eh?:roll: another example of the unionized working sector creating an unnecessary disruption & possible danger to the general public :roll:

although firemen i agree have a very difficult job at times, a lot of the time is spent doing general maintenance of hydrants & fire prevention etc and to be able to retire at just after 50 on a very good pension seems like a good option to me, especially as most firemen i know have been moonlighting for years in other jobs.

Still practising the politics of envy AdamSmith?

Not a comparison of like for like at all though.

The state pension is not at all related to a pension provided after employment.

Anyone on a final salary scheme (which are generally now closed I know, but that's a recent change) will be hoping for a similar amount I'd think. It's hardly unusual to be earning 50k by retirement age when the national average is about 25k.

Doesn't sound very gold plated to me, with the exception of the comparatively early retirement age.

Only 32% of the private sector workforce, including the self-employed, contribute to a personal pension.

Until this amount is in the majority, most people when comparing will be comparing what the firefighters get and what they will get on a state pension, therefore my comparison is fair.

A firefighter gets 4.5x that of a state pension and also has the right to retire 5 years earlier too.

Only 32% of the private sector workforce, including the self-employed, contribute to a personal pension.

Until this amount is in the majority, most people when comparing will be comparing what the firefighters get and what they will get on a state pension, therefore my comparison is fair.

A firefighter gets 4.5x that of a state pension and also has the right to retire 5 years earlier too.

And if I'm not mistaken they still get it even if they have an income from alternative employment. Not a bad deal by the looks of it.

Well its just been on the lunch time news that the pension is around £19000 a year at present rates.

If so then this is much more than lots of low paid workers earn for a full 40 hour week.

So whats wrong is it the puplic sector pensions that are to high or the low pay of so many working people.

The 19000 quoted would be after 40 years service, unachievable and unrealistic in most cases I would imagine, so the final pension sum would be much less than this.

And if I'm not mistaken they still get it even if they have an income from alternative employment. Not a bad deal by the looks of it.

They'll probably just carry on doing the other job they had when they were a firefighter..(oops did I say that out loud...sorry :D )

Archived