Firemen strike over gold plated pensions

And if I'm not mistaken they still get it even if they have an income from alternative employment. Not a bad deal by the looks of it.

Yep, that's true. I have a retired fireman working for me. His firefighter pension pays all the bills and the income he gets from working with me is for "treats" as he calls them, which usually relates to Android tablets and laptops!

I don't begrudge him any of it though, he's worked hard through his career and saved more lives than I ever will.

Link here to contribution rates etc.

http://www.yourpension.org.uk/Files/Files/HCC%20Fire/FPS%20Scheme%20Guide.pdf

As a member of the FPS, the amount that you will pay in contributions depends on your

pensionable pay but it is currently between 11% and 13%. Below are the pay bands and the

rates which apply from April 2013.

Your Fire and Rescue Authority will pay a contribution equivalent to about 26.5% of your

pensionable pay

Only 32% of the private sector workforce, including the self-employed, contribute to a personal pension.

Until this amount is in the majority, most people when comparing will be comparing what the firefighters get and what they will get on a state pension, therefore my comparison is fair.

A firefighter gets 4.5x that of a state pension and also has the right to retire 5 years earlier too.

The fact that people don't make arrangements for a pension doesn't somehow make a pension from employment comparable with the state pension. The two are completely unrelated.

so the firemen are striking today over their gold plated public sector pensions eh?:roll: another example of the unionized working sector creating an unnecessary disruption & possible danger to the general public :roll:

although firemen i agree have a very difficult job at times, a lot of the time is spent doing general maintenance of hydrants & fire prevention etc and to be able to retire at just after 50 on a very good pension seems like a good option to me, especially as most firemen i know have been moonlighting for years in other jobs.

Good on them! they have my full support. They are also still answering emergency calls, its just the non emergency ones that arent getting done.

Only 32% of the private sector workforce, including the self-employed, contribute to a personal pension.

Until this amount is in the majority, most people when comparing will be comparing what the firefighters get and what they will get on a state pension, therefore my comparison is fair.

A firefighter gets 4.5x that of a state pension and also has the right to retire 5 years earlier too.

and can die or seriously disabled at any time during his work, its a highly dangerous job

fair play to em

In France people tend to support each other to ensure their standards are maintained whereas in the UK we tend to be more divisive and ultimately everyone loses out except the banks, politicians and multinational corporations.

If the unions had come out against mass immigration which lowered the wages and working conditions of millions of people in the private sector, they might be getting more sympathy now. Instead they came out in favour of it. I have no idea why as it completely lowers their bargaining power.

Let everybody in this country retire at fifty they have done their bit and give the youngens a chance to do their bit.

I agree you have worked best part of 35 years, instead of making people working up to 70 which they would if they could. Let people have the choice of retiring at 50-55 if they want; and get the bone idle youth off their arses, and off the dole and working.

Not read all the posts but, what I will say would you be a fireman/woman I know it's a life choice, but they do it and put their lives on the line.

Archived