Shareholders profits more important than saving an OAP's life.

chalga

No idea,because it's not the point I am making,it's about people like Woodford who want to make more profit,and are willing to sell shares at the hint that these profits could drop,and are willing to use scare tactics about 'lights going out' to maintain those profits and more.

Of course people sell shares if they think their divis. will fall.. I'm not really sure what your issue is...why do you think they are scare tactics.. don't you think power generation could be affected by capping prices? What if the price of oil and gas went up by 50% due to problems in the middle east?

Invesco are investing to make profits, not because they care about keeping people warm. It's not driven by altruism.

Yep and in their strive to make money, other people benefit, shoot all the greedy people that are out to make as much money as they can and I think you would start regretting shooting them very quickly. Don't demonise the greedy people because with out them we would be much worse off.

The average dual fuel bill is about £1300 a year. If a couple is on £220 a week it really depends whether they have to pay rent. Council tax on top. Phone. Food. Not much left is there?

I was quoting people on pension credit - which is means tested. A pensioner couple getting income based pension credit of £220 would normally have their rent paid by housing benefit, likewise their council tax. That's why I called it 'disposable' income.

£1300 a year, less £200 winter fuel allowance = £1100. That works out at just over £21 a week. Leaves almost £200 for food, phone, insurance etc. Do people think it should be more?

It says that the energy companies made £3.7 billion last year and this stupidity would cost them £5.4 billion. That doesn't leave much for investing in green energy, new power stations and giving a return to investors who have their savings tied up during this period. It also doesn't leave much slack should there be a cold spell that drives up to cost of fuels they need to keep the power supplies maintained. I for one will be selling my shares and investing in a generator.

"Hasn't the regulator, Ofgem, warned about power cuts?

There is no doubt that our energy system is threatened. Last spring Britain nearly ran out of gas. But this is a much wider issue about our lack of storage facilities and the rundown of North Sea gas production. Power stations to produce gas have been mothballed but that it largely because coal-burning is much cheaper.

So is Labour right to believe that the measures should not hurt investment in new infrastructure?

No. The big six are very active in the wholesale side of the energy industry, where up to £100bn is needed for new wind farms and other lower-carbon power production. They may well cut investment – at least in the short term – arguing that it is because they are making less money and possibly to put pressure on Labour.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-heat-is-on-milibands-energy-bills-pledge-knocks-950m-off-centrica-shares-8838578.html

Proof that big business and their profits are more important to them and their political supporters than freezing OAP's that can't afford their heating bills or are scared to switch on their heat.

QUOTE:

Shareholders are concerned that their dividends will suffer as a result of the bill freeze, which would almost certainly reduce the profits of the big six energy suppliers.

Tories spread fear and paranoia that the 'lights could go out' as a result of Millibands pledge.

Well as there are plenty of share holders who don't have much cash but get a pension from a fund that owns power shares, and there are rather a lot of very rich people who will get any reductions that might come as a result of this, it could technically be....

Cheap electricity for millionaires paid for by robbing pensioners of their savings.

Archived