Shareholders profits more important than saving an OAP's life.

chalga

Their share holders don't pay tax on dividends they don't get and there's less money for them to spend and less VAT to collect.

So the poor dear who sits by the one bar fire will probably get services cut as a result of her megre saving whilst the millionaires in Kensington have sold their power shares, bought into something else and are spending the savings on their £20K power bills on French Champagne. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

So the VAT then comes from the tax on the dividends from the 'something else' that you claim they will buy into,and whatever else they are spending the savings on their £20K power bills on.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/sep/26/energy-bill-freeze-consumer-groups-welcome

QUOTE:

Ramsay Dunning, general manager at Co-operative Energy, added: "We believe by increasing competition through more diversity of generation and supply, this will open up investment opportunities from outside this cosy group. This could include the crowdsourcing of finance from individual investors and the more active involvement of pension funds."

Nick Boyle, chief executive of Lightsource Renewable Energy, which claims to be the UK's largest solar park developer, said Miliband was right to call for energy market reform on a number of counts.

"First, to increase supply competition and second to secure investment. We don't agree with his price-freezing proposals, but a breakup will see more investment in the UK, not less," he said.

"We know that the big six are simply scaremongering with their claims that reform will drive investment out of Britain. Tackling the existing oligopoly is a very practical policy to develop the economy as well as bring down long-term energy costs and volatility."

"With secure returns for investors, fast deployment timescales and widespread public support, the opportunity for renewables will widen as the power of the big six erodes," he said. "This is what they are truly afraid of, not that investment will dwindle, but investment in them … Miliband is right: the big six's time is over. Investment is going elsewhere."

Ah, another anecdote.

You can do better.

Yes its is a short interesting story about my energy consumption, which I don't find to be expensive when compared to other thing I buy.

It actually costs me less to keep the house warm than my water bill.

I'm struggling to grasp the point of this. If the idea was to stop a few poverty stricken pensioners from freezing to death wouldn't it be simpler to pop round with a cheque to pay the old dears bill rather than give cheap power to billionaires to heat their swimming pools and power their garden lights.

I imagine that some old dear who can't afford power spends virtually nothing on power anyhow, so a tiny cut in power cost isn't going to have her powering up the central heating. The winter fuel allowance is the best help and adding £50 to the allowance for those in need makes more sense to me than a sub to the wealthy. But I suppose that doesn't make the headlines.

I'm struggling to grasp the point of this. If the idea was to stop a few poverty stricken pensioners from freezing to death wouldn't it be simpler to pop round with a cheque to pay the old dears bill rather than give cheap power to billionaires to heat their swimming pools and power their garden lights.

I imagine that some old dear who can't afford power spends virtually nothing on power anyhow, so a tiny cut in power cost isn't going to have her powering up the central heating. The winter fuel allowance is the best help and adding £50 to the allowance for those in need makes more sense to me than a sub to the wealthy. But I suppose that doesn't make the headlines.

What about the people inbetween? neither pensioner nor billionaire nor on benefits? Why is it wrong for them to get a bit of relief?

I'm struggling to grasp the point of this. If the idea was to stop a few poverty stricken pensioners from freezing to deathwouldn't it be simpler to pop round with a cheque to pay the old dears bill rather than give cheap power to billionaires to heat their swimming pools and power their garden lights.

Yes it would if that was the idea, which I doubt that it is, the policy appears to be more about attacking the people that are perceived to be wealthy to appease the people that are poor.

What about the people inbetween? neither pensioner nor billionaire nor on benefits? Why is it wrong for them to get a bit of relief?

Not everyone can have a free lunch. Someone somewhere has to pay for it. That would be the inbetweeners who will loose out the money through their pension funds taking a hit.

I mention the pensioners because they are the headline act in the OP and the ones who very likely won't notice a benefit. I mention billionaires because they will be the ones who gain the most.

As usual then.....

Well it does seem silly if you want to help pensioners who can't afford to heat their homes to give the cash to the rich rather than actually targeting those you claim that you want to help. A £50 discount off a pensioners bill would help her far more than £1000 off Richard Branson's.

Well it does seem silly if you want to help pensioners who can't afford to heat their homes to give the cash to the rich rather than actually targeting those you claim that you want to help. A £50 discount off a pensioners bill would help her far more than £1000 off Richard Branson's.

We're not talking about Richard Branson though.. we're talking about ordinary working people who aren't on large salaries. who get no benefits etc.etc. using your method of dishing out £50 to those on pensions (who get an extra £200 anyway in winter even if they're ex-pats living in Spain for the winter!) won't help the group I'm talking about..

Archived