Shareholders profits more important than saving an OAP's life.

chalga

We're not talking about Richard Branson though.. we're talking about ordinary working people who aren't on large salaries. who get no benefits etc.etc. using your method of dishing out £50 to those on pensions (who get an extra £200 anyway in winter even if they're ex-pats living in Spain for the winter!) won't help the group I'm talking about..

No we aren't. The thread is about OAPs who can't afford to heat their homes. That's what it says at the top of the thread.

Simple. I pointed out that billionaires would benefit more than the folk mentioned in the OP. That's how one debates old chap.

OK you bring billionaires into the argument and it's OK I bring ordinary people into it and you seem to think it's a problem...? And that's debate? :) I don't see what the fuss is about anyway...I can freeze my energy payments for 18 months at the moment...

If you can't see the point then you are being deliberately blind to it. The OPs claim is shareholders profits are more important than an OAPs life, but as is clear to anyone with a brain it is the very wealthy who will gain most. The bigger your house the more a cut in energy prices benefits you. The bigger your heated swimming pool the more it benefits you. The folk who sit in front of a one bar fire will save a couple of quid whilst the footballers with 3 mansions around the country will save thousands.

Your analogy is meaningless unless you factor it as a proportion of their income, and even when you do that it is still **** in the ocean in relative terms for everyone.

For example:

Taking a £200 saving on £1200 for a typical household, lets give them a nice low income of 15K

The saving is therefore 1.3% of there total household income per year. Wow.

Now take the same saving scaled up to a household spending £30K for their mansion and yearly income of a couple of million we get a saving of £5k. While this may seem like a lot in comparison to your freezing OAP it's only 5k out of 2million (0.00025% of income). Do you think your millionaire is even going to notice?

jb

Your analogy is meaningless unless you factor it as a proportion of their income, and even when you do that it is still **** in the ocean in relative terms for everyone.

For example:

Taking a £200 saving on £1200 for a typical household, lets give them a nice low income of 15K

The saving is therefore 1.3% of there total household income per year. Wow.

Now take the same saving scaled up to a household spending £30K for their mansion and yearly income of a couple of million we get a saving of £5k. While this may seem like a lot in comparison to your freezing OAP it's only 5k out of 2million (0.00025% of income). Do you think your millionaire is even going to notice?

jb

So what you are saying is a person who can't afford power still not be able to afford power but a typical household might save £200 and a millionaire will save £5000.

So the richer you are the more you will save and the poorer you are the less you will save, and nearly all paid for out of the pension funds of the working man. Have I got that right?

So what you are saying is a person who can't afford power still not be able to afford power but a typical household might save £200 and a millionaire will save £5000.

So the richer you are the more you will save and the poorer you are the less you will save, and nearly all paid for out of the pension funds of the working man. Have I got that right?

It's a good idea of Ed's isn't it...

Yes, yes, yes, yes (not that the rich will even notice), yes (a couple of extra quid a week is hardly going to help the poor), never mentioned pension funds but yes and yes.

Remember it's all relative. It's no good bleating on that the rich are going to save thousands and benefit so much more than the poor when the rich won't even notice what they have saved. A few grand to a millionaire is like pennies to the poor. That is why your analogy is pants.

jb

Yes, yes, yes, yes (not that the rich will even notice), yes (a couple of extra quid a week is hardly going to help the poor), never mentioned pension funds but yes and yes.

Remember it's all relative. It's no good bleating on that the rich are going to save thousands and benefit so much more than the poor when the rich won't even notice what they have saved. A few grand to a millionaire is like pennies to the poor. That is why your analogy is pants.

jb

So if you go on a night out with a rich guy does he pay more for his pint than you do? If he has a £5000 gift I work out that it will buy him far more John Smith's Smooth than your £200 or the poor guys 20p.

I think its very good of Ed to think of his rich chums like that. When you are saving up for a Bugatti Veyron saving £5,000 on heating your swimming pool is very handy indeed, particularly when the windfall is tax free. .

Not to say the HateMail is sensationalising the story but their head example is this:

The death of 90-year-old Margaret Titchmarsh showed how cold weather can claim the lives of elderly people. Former nurse Mrs Titchmarsh, who suffered from dementia, died from hypothermia after wandering away from her care home, in Halifax, West Yorkshire.

Archived