Shareholders profits more important than saving an OAP's life.

chalga

So have you rushed out and bought a load of shares in energy companies?

Everyone is a shareholder in energy companies because the bills are rising so that they can use the money from the public to build new infrastructure........its not just bills for the consumption,but the ones that have bought the shares get the profits.Let these shareholders fund the infrastructure with their money,or give everybody a share of the profits by keeping bills down,because all the general public have invested in the infrastructure...........you know,what we owned before privatisation came along.

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 15:52 ----------

I don't know. How much have you invested to save these lives?

I'm not an energy company,you don't have to invest to save these lives,just have some idea and awareness that these lives are being lost because of the actions of energy companies in the drive for extra profits for shareholders,in an area that has social responsibilities that have nothing to do with making these profits.

Everyone is a shareholder in energy companies because the bills are rising so that they can use the money from the public to build new infrastructure........its not just bills for the consumption,but the ones that have bought the shares get the profits.Let these shareholders fund the infrastructure with their money,or give everybody a share of the profits by keeping bills down,because all the general public have invested in the infrastructure...........you know,what we owned before privatisation came along.

This is how it works.

We the people own everything the government builds.

The government used tax money to build the infrastructure you speak of.

They sold it, which raised money for the government which we the people own.

They spent it on behalf of the people on other stuff we use.

So you didn't loose anything when the utility companies were sold, and for the most part what they sold was a pile of crap that needed massive investment to make it more officiant.

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 15:52 ----------

I'm not an energy company,you don't have to invest to save these lives,just have some idea and awareness that these lives are being lost because of the actions of energy companies in the drive for extra profits for shareholders,in an area that has social responsibilities that have nothing to do with making these profits.

No one is an energy company. But everyone is free to buy shares in energy companies. Don't you think it hypocritical that you condemn folk who are selling their shares in the energy companies and yet you seem reluctant to take on the burden yourself. Just why do you think that others have a responsibility when you clearly don't feel like doing your bit yourself?

If you really want to do something find another load of folk and buy the whole lot and give free energy to everyone you feel deserves it. I won't be investing. I'm out!

If pensioners can't afford to pay for energy then it really the government fault for not providing higher pensions, or there own fault for not saving for their retirement, I don't see how its the energy companies fault.

If pensioners can't afford to pay for energy then it really the government fault for not providing higher pensions, or there own fault for not saving for their retirement, I don't see how its the energy companies fault.

You forgot that the biggest shareholders in the energy companies are pension funds. The profits from the companies goes to pensioners to help pay their bills.

Both sources of investment income could be hit by Ed's announcement.. profits would be down and the companies may find it harder to get loans because of this..

both are true - and, a reduced share price would reduce any capital they would be able to raise on the stock markets - but a fall in the value of their shares does not, in itself, deprive them of any money - it could also make their shares more attractive as the yield increases (at least in the short term)

You forgot that the biggest shareholders in the energy companies are pension funds. The profits from the companies goes to pensioners to help pay their bills.

So if energy companies make less money, pension funds will suffer, so pensioners will have less money and might not be able to afford food. :o

Did you know that the UK already has some of the cheapest energy supplies in western Europe? Only France and Luxemburg has cheaper energy to domestic customers. I bet Ed didn't tell you that..

So if you were a Norwegian selling gas where would you choose to offload your supplies?

I can answer that for you. You can always sell shares if you don't mind taking a hit on the price. Share prices in energy companies fell around 5% this morning. This means that the companies have a paper value 5% less than they did yesterday. If a company's shares start to fall it makes borrowing very difficult. It also makes raising money to invest from a rights issue more difficult.

but the post i answered stated

if the company doesn't offer profit potential no one buys the shares

you can't sell shares if "no-one" buys them - it is factually correct, if not realistically so

the rest of your post is irrelevant to my comment

Well that's total rubbish. If shareholders are worried about dividends on a company's shares they simply sell the shares. This forces down the share price and if the company doesn't offer profit potential no one buys the shares and the company has no money to invest and eventually ceases trading.

But if it worries you that much you could buy the shares and subsidise free electricity to folk.

What part of that don't you understand.

Companies rarely rely on shares to raise capital but do rely on retained profits.People selling their shares makes no difference to existing assets.

I think your final riposte looks rather terse,and an apology is required.

Archived