New Not for Profit Energy suppier threatens to quit the market.

Dingus

Hmm; strange.

On the other thread you seem to be lamenting potential loss of profit by the big energy companies whilst, on this one, you are lamenting the potential demise of a company which would cause those companies to lose profits.

Not loss of profit. I'm lamenting the loss of investment that will be caused by the idiot Miliband. He has already caused a £1 billion drop in share price of the energy companies. When the power goes off he'll be the one to blame.

I can't help thinking that Miliband has panicked because the economy is on the mend and is trying his best to make the UK a place where buisiness won't prosper and companies won't invest. It looks like one that was about to invest is already looking at pulling out.

Not loss of profit. I'm lamenting the loss of investment that will be caused by the idiot Miliband. He has already caused a £1 billion drop in share price of the energy companies. When the power goes off he'll be the one to blame.

I can't help thinking that Miliband has panicked because the economy is on the mend and is trying his best to make the UK a place where buisiness won't prosper and companies won't invest. It looks like one that was about to invest is already looking at pulling out.

The drop in share prices indicates the City feel Miliband can win an election-like bookmakers they seldom get predictions wrong.There is no need for power cuts if people avoid profligacy.

The economy is only on the mend in London, where the economy is being propped up by foreigners investing in the London property market.

So let's get this straight, the business model was to charge the lowest price charged by a cartel?

That business should not even have got off the back of the fag packet.

its a feasible idea as long as you can hold out for long enough, but what kind of war of attrition could be useful to the paying public.

The large supermarkets have been doing similar with food prices for a long time but the cost of a weekly shop only ever rises.

open4energy would simply become cartel member no 7, willingly or not.

Lol go Ed Miliband, Cameron will be laughing him self to sleep tonight, Red Ed has probably just sealed his own fate with this policy.

I dont vote Liebour ,but on this issue Millband has my support,its about time the consumer was put first and not the shareholders.

I dont vote Liebour ,but on this issue Millband has my support,its about time the consumer was put first and not the shareholders.

It won't happen, in the same way that there was never a referendum under labour over Europe, and student fees went up rather than were abolished. "We were going to do it but we can't now. Sorry."

its a feasible idea as long as you can hold out for long enough, but what kind of war of attrition could be useful to the paying public.

The large supermarkets have been doing similar with food prices for a long time but the cost of a weekly shop only ever rises.

open4energy would simply become cartel member no 7, willingly or not.

It's billed as a not for profit that has an aim of making the same margin as the lowest priced member of a cartel at any point in time. It's crazy, making super profit even if they aim to pass it to charity makes absolutely no difference to the end consumer. They still overpay but are supposed to be sated by the idea that a charity benefits somehow. People just want lower energy prices, not somebody to engineer a feel good element into being ripped off at cartel prices. Madness.

---------- Post added 26-09-2013 at 00:49 ----------

I think Miliband has used entirely the wrong language to describe the policy. He should have said that they will use a flexible variable cap to prevent excess profits and to punish underfunding on infrastructure. I've no confidence he actually can deliver a price freeze.

If they are a 'Not for Profit' organisation, what is their problem?

They may not be intending to make a profit but making a loss would send them into debt related oblivion.

The people who are running this venture clearly don't think Ed Millipede's plans are going to work with UK gas supplies declining [LINK] or with ever increasing reliance on alternate sources that are quite expensive to extract (imports, fracking).

Gas from Norway, coal from Russia: eight graphs on the UK energy system

The UK's dependence on energy imports has increased to its highest level since 1976, according to statistics released by the Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC).

Perhaps we could persuade the Norwegians to sell us gas at a loss so that chinless Ed can be elected prime minister?

I'm sure the Norwegian people would just love that.

Most of Europe is struggling with how to reduce spending, but not Norway. It has invested the income from its oil and gas reserves so wisely that it now has what many consider to be the world's largest sovereign wealth fund, estimated to be worth $1tr (£0.6tr) by 2020

LINK

Dear god, do some of you ever visit the real world? Seriously. :huh:

Gas is limitless don'tcha know, it's only the greedy corporations that keep prices rising.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Archived