It's not free - somebody else is paying for it.

not when overseas students are paying incredible amounts of money to study here, they're not subsidised like UK students are.

They're paying mega bucks to attend our uni's and bring in loadsacash.

Yes and they pay loads of money because the causes are in demand, if no wanted to go to uni, uni fees would fall.

Just playing devils advocate here....if they go on to earn more than their non-uni peers, they will pay more tax than their peers....which would offset the cost of their higher education?

What about people who don't go to uni but go on to earn good money? Surely it's fairer for the people who went to uni to pay for it if they benefit from it? How could it be fairer than that? You go to uni and benefit from it, you pay. You go to uni but don't benefit from it, you don't pay. You don't go to uni in the first place, you don't pay.

People harking back to the days of "free university" forget about the fact that very few people went in those days, and it was mostly the wealthier side of society that got the chance.

Yes and they pay loads of money because the causes are in demand, if no wanted to go to uni, uni fees would fall.

No if no-one went the place would close.

The fee's help keep the joint open, it's not a supply and demand thing it's the cost of keeping the lights on thing.

If less people went they'd have less courses, so they'd have to start shutting buildings down and downsizing in general.

What about people who don't go to uni but go on to earn good money? Surely it's fairer for the people who went to uni to pay for it if they benefit from it? How could it be fairer than that? You go to uni and benefit from it, you pay. You go to uni but don't benefit from it, you don't pay. You don't go to uni in the first place, you don't pay.

People harking back to the days of "free university" forget about the fact that very few people went in those days, and it was mostly the wealthier side of society that got the chance.

Fair point Happ Hazzard. Tbh I'm on the fence.

Another argument of course, is that our society benefits from graduates, such as doctors, scientists, engineers etc which gives the country an economic and competative advantage, so creates or at least maintains jobs and wealth.

I wonder if certain courses should recieve a subsidy based on internal demand for those skills. However, all the social science undergraduates can jog on for a subsidy.

I maybe wrong (and probably am) but when there was no fees, there seemed to be a lot more students taking pointless courses as a way of dossing about for another 2-3 years as they were no financial consequences for them. Now they have to pay for it I'm guessing the ones that want to go to Uni are more serious about it and in the long term they'll gain something out of it.

No if no-one went the place would close.

The fee's help keep the joint open, it's not a supply and demand thing it's the cost of keeping the lights on thing.

If less people went they'd have less courses, so they'd have to start shutting buildings down and downsizing in general.

They were open when very few people went to uni so why will it be different now, I agree that the uncompetitive ones would close, but that life.

Now they have to pay for it I'm guessing the ones that want to go to Uni are more serious about it and in the long term they'll gain something out of it.

I think we'll maybe start to see a split in subjects along lines of social class - only the children of wealthy parents will study subjects, such as the history of art, where the opportunities for relevant employment afterwards are limited. It won't matter to those people because a) they can afford the course anyway and b) they have opportunities that arise from their social circle.

I know if I were a kid from an unprivileged background thinking of Uni now and about to saddle myself with £30K+ of debt, I'd be trying to get on a course with a BSc or BEng degree rather than a BA at the end of it.

They were open when very few people went to uni so why will it be different now, I agree that the uncompetitive ones would close, but that life.

In gereral most universities have got bigger, so they have much higer running costs add that to the impact of inflation and it costs a whole shed-load more to run a University now than it did "when very few people went to uni"

Do you think if everyone stopped going to the supermarket it would drive down prices, or just close the supermarket?

Do you think if everyone stopped taking the bus it would drive down prices, or just stop the bus?

Do you think if everyone stopped going to the pub it would drive down prices or just close the pub?

etc

etc

etc

The old system favour the best, regardless of their background or how rich the parents were.

Look at it now, look at the best schools in Sheffield where they are located and look at the house prices. Do you think someone on the minumum wage can afford to live in those districts?

Look at where the worst schools are, look at the social problems in those schools and these happen to be in the areas where the poorest people live.

So yes, the liberal left wing rich elite favour the current system and why shouldn't they? They get the best education and the greatest life chances, and thats why many students liberal left wing pillocks who don't have any grasp of the real world (look at our current political class - they are all the same, thats why they are so out of touch).

Get back to the old system, slash the amount of university places and save education for only the very best (regardless of how rich the parents are) then you may start to stop this country from going down the toilet.

A well thought post at last!.........some people on here live in dreamland.

In gereral most universities have got bigger, so they have much higer running costs add that to the impact of inflation and it costs a whole shed-load more to run a University now than it did "when very few people went to uni"

Do you think if everyone stopped going to the supermarket it would drive down prices, or just close the supermarket?

Do you think if everyone stopped taking the bus it would drive down prices, or just stop the bus?

Do you think if everyone stopped going to the pub it would drive down prices or just close the pub?

etc

etc

etc

Both, they would compete to keep the available business and the uncompetitive ones would close.

Archived