Mental to take offence?

Zamo

I don't think that the accusation of organisations like MIND criticising Asda and Tesco for stocking this costume of being "too PC" is fair, or even accurate.

People who have a serious mental health disorder like bipolar or schizophrenia often complain that the stigma of having a mental health disorder is sometimes just as difficult to deal with as the symptoms of the illness is.

I think this costume fuels the notion that mentally ill people are dangerous and should be avoided.

....I remember the horrible Sun headlines when "Bonkers [Frank] Bruno Locked Up", it lacks compassion and humanity.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be humour and comedy about mental illness, but this costume and the Sun headline about Bruno is just crass, stupid and appeals to the lowest common denominator

---------- Post added 27-09-2013 at 13:05 ----------

is it just me that now sees the irony of "free speech", the ones crying bully on here the loudest are the ones that are against it regarding poppy burners, but cry foul when its the EDL not being able to cause trouble exactly where and when they want

but I'm the hypocrite :roll:

Good point :thumbsup:

is it just me that now sees the irony of "free speech", the ones crying bully on here the loudest are the ones that are against it regarding poppy burners, but cry foul when its the EDL not being able to cause trouble exactly where and when they want

but I'm the hypocrite :roll:

Sorry? Is that directed at at me and also, what's the EDL got to do with this? Im confused.

You don't know what turmoil, Maxtor is going through. I've read his or her posts this morning )

Judging by previous posts, including this one.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10057970&postcount=7

I would conclude that Maxtor is definitely male.

Much as I commend your support for him, he strikes me as someone well able to defend himself.

on the topic in the op, someat came to me, is it purely because the costumes are based in reality? rather than normally they are fantasy, al a Frankenstein, witches with broomsticks, Freddie Kruger etc?

Did you see the costumes on the news? They were as far removed from reality as Frankenstein, Freddie Kruger et al. Bloke in shredded, blood splattered straitjacket clutching meat cleaver, bloke in orange boiler suit and Hannibal Lecter face mask clutching giant syringe, and vacant, doll-like girl with pigtails clutching teddy bear. All schlock-horror stereotypes and nowt to do with the reality of mental illness.

:hihi:

Not Aeif :hihi:

Oh dear looks like Tesco are now in the fireing line they have just withdrawn my gay best friend doll .......oh poopoo I can`t stop laughing even my best friend whose sat here with me and hes gay has just said I wanted one of them and we are just in fits of laughter ...............:hihi::hihi::hihi:x

Archived