Austerity..Enough!!

You cannot condense a complicated political idea that has taken a whole book to explain to a forum soundbite without getting shot down in flames.

If capitalism is so good, why would people make repeated attempts to overturn it? And be prepared to put their lives on the line to do it? Could it be that capitalism is only good if you're on the winning team? Every race has losers, and when the race has not been on a level playing field they are going to protest.

As for the wisdom of Healey and Hesseltine, read them by all means, but I would say their 'wisdom' is partly what's got us into this mess. To say that austerity has 'worked' is a bit premature don't you think?

'A clean bill of health' - really? When all other sources describe our position as 'fragile.' We are still teetering on the brink and need to procede with caution.

Globalisation means the problem is worldwide and unprecedented.

I hope you're right in that the recovery is nigh, but I want to see everyone included in a recovery, not a recovery bought at other people's expense.

There will never be a world where everyone is a winner. It's all very well to feel good folding ones arms saying "I won't be satisfied until the system is fair and works for all"

I did it myself up to my early twenties.

You can't condense an idea but a title or a link will do.

Only a minority of fanatics try and overthrow capitalism and they're usually people with a very stark view of humanity. Most of the world's poor want a chance rather than a Cuban lifestyle. I could say Chinese but like most communists they've embraced capitalism and want to be the new USA.

There will never be a world where everyone is a winner. It's all very well to feel good folding ones arms saying "I won't be satisfied until the system is fair and works for all"

I did it myself up to my early twenties.

You can't condense an idea but a title or a link will do.

Only a minority of fanatics try and overthrow capitalism and they're usually people with a very stark view of humanity. Most of the world's poor want a chance rather than a Cuban lifestyle. I could say Chinese but like most communists they've embraced capitalism and want to be the new USA.

A reading list to get you started:

'50 Political ideas you really need to know.' Ben Dupre

'Politics - cutting through the crap' Bali Rai

Political and Economic Systems Series:

'People Power, campaigns and causes' Oxford University Press

'Political Economy of the World Trading systems.' Michel M Kostecki

'The Globalisation of World Politics' Oxford University Press

I'd say that China is finding a middle way between Capitalism and Communism - let's see if it works, (But it also has big problems with corruption, amongst others.)

No system is perfect, but competition for resources leads to wars. We owe it to the Human Race to keep on trying.

A reading list to get you started:

'50 Political ideas you really need to know.' Ben Dupre

'Politics - cutting through the crap' Bali Rai

Political and Economic Systems Series:

'People Power, campaigns and causes' Oxford University Press

'Political Economy of the World Trading systems.' Michel M Kostecki

I'll take a look. The super parasite tax dodgers etc need to be reined in without recourse to blood on the cobbles.

Archived