Tories claim marriage makes for a stable society.

But you can have commitment without marriage.

But can you though? think about it, if you can just take your stuff and go when your not married how is that commitment? nothing to work at then unless you have kids but most "uncommitted people" don't even seem to care about them either sometimes.

Well, yes. But the average marriage with all the trimmings is usually going to be in the thousands. Still, I don't see why marriage creates a stable society.

---------- Post added 29-09-2013 at 00:24 ----------

But can you though? think about it, if you can just take your stuff and go when your not married how is that commitment? nothing to work at then unless you have kids but most "uncommitted people" don't even seem to care about them either sometimes.

You can just take your stuff and go even if you are married. There's probably going to be an expensive divorce too. Marriage doesn't guarantee commitment - any never has done. It just may make it more difficult to legally separate.

Well, yes. But the average marriage with all the trimmings is usually going to be in the thousands. Still, I don't see why marriage creates a stable society.

Well, two parents are undeniably better than one. There are loads of studies out there that will show you that kids from stable homes perform better at school. I know that marriage doesn't automatically provide such a home, but it is a good start.

Following on from that, stable relationships have to contribute to a stable society. There are loads of sensible reasons why that is the case.

I'm no Tory. But on this, I do think that Cameron is correct. Promoting validated civil partnerships, or marriage can only enhance social cohesion.

The govt are harking back to a mythical golden age, probably the 50s, when women stayed at home, Dixon of dock Green was on the beat, everyone was supposed to know their place and not want anything different ... If they want society to be more stable, they could try reducing the gap between rich and poor for a start.

Well, two parents are undeniably better than one.

I agree that having two parents can be better than one. But I don't see what that has to do with being married. You can have two parents in a stable relationship who aren't married.

I'm no Tory. But on this, I do think that Cameron is correct. Promoting validated civil partnerships, or marriage can only enhance social cohesion.

But marriage doesn't guarantee a stable relationship.

You can just take your stuff and go even if you are married. There's probably going to be an expensive divorce too. Marriage doesn't guarantee commitment - any never has done. It just may make it more difficult to legally separate.

Yes I agree but you are taking on more of a responsibility, and I take it from your posts you obviously aren't married and also don't like taking on "commitment" or "responsibility". That's fine mate everyone to their own but if any respective government does reward people for it, that's up to them.

---------- Post added 29-09-2013 at 00:41 ----------

The govt are harking back to a mythical golden age, probably the 50s, when women stayed at home, Dixon of dock Green was on the beat, everyone was supposed to know their place and not want anything different ... If they want society to be more stable, they could try reducing the gap between rich and poor for a start.

I think you are being a little silly there :roll:

Yes I agree but you are taking on more of a responsibility, and I take it from your posts you obviously aren't married and also don't like taking on "commitment" or "responsibility".

You can be responsible and in a committed relationship while not being married. So I don't get your point.

Edit: And don't get me wrong here, I'm not knocking those who do get married; I just don't see how marriage guarantees commitment or how marriage creates a stable society when, looking around the world, societies that really value marriage are often extremely unstable. I also don't see why married couples - whose marriage may not be stable or healthy - will get tax breaks while non-married couples in stable and healthy relationships receive no tax benefits.

You can be responsible and in a committed relationship while not being married. So I don't get your point.

My point is you can easily walk away, where is the commitment in that? to be honest I don't get your point other than you leave yourself the easy way out which = no commitment.

Archived