Tories claim marriage makes for a stable society.

My point is you can easily walk away, where is the commitment in that? to be honest I don't get your point other than you leave yourself the easy way out which = no commitment.

I think you are confusing commitment with marriage. As Jane above has shown, you can have commitment without marriage. And as I've previously stated: You can just take your stuff and go even if you are married. There's probably going to be an expensive divorce too. Marriage doesn't guarantee commitment - any never has done. It just may make it more difficult to legally separate.

You can keep marriage, personally speaking. I don't need no Tory or any smart arse telling me what commitment is, especially when they're probably knocking up some 20 quid whore or rent boy behind their wives back

I've read the posts and it seems commitment = a few quid extra in the bank. What a recipe. If people concentrated on their own relationships rather than try to bury their own little grubby noses in other peoples business their own relationships may stand a chance.

I'm on my second marriage....first time I was very young and stupid and no amount of tax break incentives could have fixed our marriage.

Years ago marriages lasted longer because divorce was expensive and a social taboo...the fact that they've also reduced legal aid means more couples won't be able to afford divorce, especially where children are concerned. I just don't understand what they think they'll achieve with this...it will just create more unhappy marriages and more unhappy children.

Maybe it's a plot to ease the housing crisis by ensuring families stay under the same roof instead of splitting and taking up 2 homes!

But can you though? think about it, if you can just take your stuff and go when your not married how is that commitment? nothing to work at then unless you have kids but most "uncommitted people" don't even seem to care about them either sometimes.

And what difference do you imagine 'marriage' makes to any of that?

---------- Post added 29-09-2013 at 09:49 ----------

I'm on my second marriage....first time I was very young and stupid and no amount of tax break incentives could have fixed our marriage.

Years ago marriages lasted longer because divorce was expensive and a social taboo...the fact that they've also reduced legal aid means more couples won't be able to afford divorce, especially where children are concerned. I just don't understand what they think they'll achieve with this...it will just create more unhappy marriages and more unhappy children.

Maybe it's a plot to ease the housing crisis by ensuring families stay under the same roof instead of splitting and taking up 2 homes!

Divorce is not expensive.

And what difference do you imagine 'marriage' makes to any of that?

---------- Post added 29-09-2013 at 09:49 ----------

Divorce is not expensive.

Depends on the circumstances. It can be cheap if you can get away with a DIY divorce but matters involving child custody and estate disputes can be very expensive.

Archived