Tories claim marriage makes for a stable society.

I'm sure the Tories (ALL the ones who think that marriage makes for a stable society) will be all for allowing same sex marriage too then :thumbsup:
Heres' one :thumbsup:

(not actually/particularly a "Tory", but right-leaning/-thinking all the same :D)

Regardless of hetero or gay, I'm not so sure that formalised partnerships (marriage and equivalent) contribute to a stable society as such. Particularly when you consider the number of people who divorce and re-marry, or split and re-form a new civil partnership/variations on a theme.

Anecdotal I know, but -other than the Mrs and me- in this country I don't know a single person (friends/acquaintances) whose first marriage lasted...and I know a lot of people :D

As for the "marriage tax break",

(i) Tories look after their electorate, no surprise there (to the same extent Labour looked after theirs aplenty whilst in power - so let's not have too much hypocrisy from the usual sources) and

(ii) I have to support my wife and daughter, I take nothing from the State (other than std services/amenities like roads, schools, etc) and give it plenty - so I'll take whatever the Gvt wants to give me back, whatever the pretext.

I can't imagine many things worse than being stuck in a loveless marriage with no way out because you can't afford a divorce. That must be terrible
That may depend on why one "cannot afford" a divorce. Are we talking about the effect upon assets/lifestyle, or legal fees?

FWIW, my mother in law divorved herself in the late 70s. She couldn't afford a solicitor and, with a FT job and 2 kids in tow, she read up in what little spare time she had and did it herself.

The mother of a very good friend of mine likewise divorved herself in the mid-80s. She could afford a solicitor, but noone would take her case there (Ireland, Dublin) at the time.

It's much easier today still. I'm often tempted to say too easy, as well.

That may depend on why one "cannot afford" a divorce. Are we talking about the effect upon assets/lifestyle, or legal fees?

Legal fees. I seem to remember someone saying or reading somewhere, that the cost is around £60K. I'll google it, wait ...

oops sorry, wrong http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10251698/High-legal-fees-prompt-rise-in-DIY-divorces.html. Maybe what I heard was a personal story. Wouldn't trust something from http://www.quickie-divorce.com though ... £37 ??

Further EDIT

Taking London as an example. Is it really possible to finalise a divorce after just 7 hours of solicitor talks?

me and the missus have been together 25 years, and not married, whys marriage make it any better???

because its a legal and financial commitment :roll:

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 13:04 ----------

I can't imagine many things worse than being stuck in a loveless marriage with no way out because you can't afford a divorce. That must be terrible

bollards!!!!

You can divorce petition online for £37!

Legal fees. I seem to remember someone saying or reading somewhere, that the cost is around £60K. I'll google it, wait ...

oops sorry, wrong http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10251698/High-legal-fees-prompt-rise-in-DIY-divorces.html. Maybe what I heard was a personal story. Wouldn't trust something from http://www.quickie-divorce.com though ... £37 ??

£60k sounds to me like the sort of divorce with a lot at stake. In terms of the estate to divide and/or a very highly-contested custody issue.

Further EDIT

Taking London as an example. Is it really possible to finalise a divorce after just 7 hours of solicitor talks?

Like all manner of legal proceedings, it is never a black-and-white, one-size-fits-all affair. Turns on the facts of the situation, as always.

On the evidence of my mother in law and that friend's mother, it could cost as little as nothing (or, well, £37...or whatever the official fees of the time were - if there were any). Or, taking topic-du-jour Nigella Lawson, who is divorcing fabulously-wealthy Saatchi, likely tens if not hundreds of £000s if she goes after his estate.

It need not cost anything for an unhappy 'normal' (not celeb/wealthy/etc.) woman, if she has the drive to do it. Especially if the 'bad' husband is a public service-type (police, fireman, etc.). All she needs to utter, very quietly, is the word 'pension' - that usually drops a lot of grease into the divorce machine instantly, and tends to precipitate an positive outcome for all parties ;):twisted:

Archived