Advice re exercise for very heavy man

Hillpig

A friend of mine has recently returned to Sheffield after many years in the far east. He has a major issue with his weight and although very fit, he is over 20 stone.

He has remained fit whilst away with a lot of trekking and bicycle riding.

Now he is in a sedentary situation he has started to put weight on.

What exercises should I recommend to him? Is there a gym that would advise him sensibly and without gimmicks.?

Actually walking has been shown to be a great way to lose weight so if he is used to trekking then might be a good idea to take on some of the great walks in the peaks.

Sadly exercise plays a relatively small part in losing weight much more important is the right diet.

For instance if you do an hour in the gym you may burn say 600 calories take away from that what you would burn anyway and the fact that people often have an extra energy drink or treat after the gym and you are left with what 200-300 calories burnt. there are 3500 calories in a pound of fat so that a hell of a lot of gym visits.

Don't get me wrong exercise does help and its great for fitness but the key for weight loss really is getting his diet right.

Good luck.

Send a PM to Shef_Fitness as he's a good guy who may be able to help you.

He sounds like good candidate for The Biggest Loser.

Both exercise and dieting are good but he does need to seek medical advice.

It's not easy to get both right as everyone is different.

Well, if he likes cycling..

It's not impossible - http://39stonecyclist.com/

Now I doubt that Gaz would have succeeded if he hadn't personally found cycling to be fun and rewarding and not just as a chore, so it wouldn't work for everyone. But it might offer some inspiration if your mate does enjoy cycling to see just how far a much bigger guy has come

Archived