What Was The Big Demo In Manchester About Today?

50,000 people protested in London yesterday, but there is hardly a word of it in today's papers. Only 1 newspaper even mentions it, and there was a 2 second mention on the BBC so short if you blinked you missed it.

Surely this is news and something that people have a right to know about. It should open up discussion. It also opens up the debate that it's only when violence breaks out that these demonstrations get any attention.

50,000 is not a small number, and shows deep disquiet in the population. Unfortunately I don't know anymore about it because of what is in effect a media blackout.

Who is sanctioning what amounts to censorship in a free society? And why? Or are we simply getting more like China?

Think the media are only interested if there's a bit of a riot...

50,000 people protested in London yesterday, but there is hardly a word of it in today's papers. Only 1 newspaper even mentions it, and there was a 2 second mention on the BBC so short if you blinked you missed it.

Surely this is news and something that people have a right to know about. It should open up discussion. It also opens up the debate that it's only when violence breaks out that these demonstrations get any attention.

50,000 is not a small number, and shows deep disquiet in the population. Unfortunately I don't know anymore about it because of what is in effect a media blackout.

Who is sanctioning what amounts to censorship in a free society? And why? Or are we simply getting more like China?

Have you tried looking for the protest in Manchester instead of London?

Ahh, it must have been this one - rather makes my point that coverage was so minimal and brief it was difficult to get much information from it.

I know of the protests and I didn't watch the news or have much access to the internet this weekend. So hardly a blackout.

OP may be confused with the protests in Manchester for the Tory party conference. The protesters have claimed 50,000 were there, while I think the official number was nearer 20,000 over a long period of time.

50,000 was number quoted by BBC.

Maybe moderators could merge this with other thread.

---------- Post added 30-09-2013 at 12:13 ----------

I know of the protests and I didn't watch the news or have much access to the internet this weekend. So hardly a blackout.

As you know I watch the news and access the internet but I missed this one. There must be millions of people out there who don't access the internet who know nothing about it, which I presume is what the government want

Why?

It's been on twitter all day. Who gets their news from TV anymore?

Looked like the usual bunch of union types and SWP types to me. The former are just trying to protect their own ill gotten gains and the latter would protest anything the Tories do.

Lots of people still only trust what's on the BBC or in the press.

As for your second comment, considering how little is known, it's hardly wise to judge is it?

Archived