'Obamacare' stalemate shuts down government

That wasn't Palin, it was an article in the Investor's Business Daily.

The article's been updated with the notice: What the update actually was was to remove any reference to Hawking.

The NY Times has the original here:

That is really funny. I guess his robot voice machine does have an American accent. Easy mistake to make :hihi:

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 23:41 ----------

Ooooohhh Sarah when she's cold, she stands out even more...:hihi:

I knew somebody would take it the wrong way. She wasn't showing her breasts. Neither was Jackie Long.

paid for by raising taxes. (I don't know by how much.)

At at time when America's unfunded liabilities are $71 trillion do they really need to increase their spending?

It is alarming enough that our federal debt has surpassed $16 trillion. But we have actually dug a fiscal hole of more than $71 trillion when you consider our unfunded Medicare, Social Security and other retirement obligations. This amount goes up more than $100 billion a week on autopilot.

LINK

The guy making that statement is David M. Walker, former comptroller General of the US and former head of the Government Accountability Office (GAO).

The Comptroller General of the United States is the director of the Government Accountability Office (GAO, formerly known as the General Accounting Office), a legislative branch agency established by Congress in 1921 to ensure the fiscal and managerial accountability of the federal government.

The federal government in the US needs to be massively shrunk in size

the federal government is over 11 times larger as a percentage of GDP than 100 years ago

LINK

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Gerald R. Ford

I'm sure you can still get in them. Do you think they'll have a cordon of local police all round the perimeter? National Parks belong to the American people. They are not the property of the government to close when they feel like it.

The only way into a national park is by road unless you're fit enough to hike a hell of a lot of wilderness on foot. Expect bears, moose, mountain lions, coyotes, wolves, deer, rattlers and a host of other wildlife for company.

If coming by car you have to check in at a ranger station where they will collect the entrance fee and provide any information needed. The gates to the park are locked now so you're stuck but again if you think you're Davy Crockett you can pass on foot and the best of luck. Know what to do if confronted by a bear or mountain lion :hihi:

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 23:00 ----------

Sarah Palin is as hard as nails. BBC did a piece where Jackie Long interviewed her at the Alaska Iron dogs snowmobile race. It was like 30 below. Jackie Long was visibly traumatised by the cold. Palin didn't look like it was cold enough for her. I was kind of impressed by that, don't know why.

They made a movie about her when she was campaigning for Vice-President with John McCain who was running for President. Her campaign staff had to give her a crash course on European politics and general knowledge about Europe that a 16 year old school student with half a brain would already know.

After her interview with Katie Courac in which she demonstrated her astounding knowledge of Russia by saying that she could see Russia from her home state on a clear day she seemed to suffer from a mild nervous breakdown of some sort but later ralled enough to give a few interviews.

John McCain might have stood a reasonable chance to beat Obama in that election but his age and the concern that he might die in office and be replaced by Vice-President Palin was enough to scare away loads of voters and ensure his defeat.

Why are the parks gated? They belong to the American people.

True but visitors need to know the rules when visiting any national park before going in. You know that there are always idots who will start a fire or attempt to feed bears as well as leave trash lying around.

There has to be control in other words

Yellowstone Park is closed when winter arrives because of the harsh and hazardous conditions at that time of year

The only way into a national park is by road unless you're fit enough to hike a hell of a lot of wilderness on foot. Expect bears, moose, mountain lions, coyotes, wolves, deer, rattlers and a host of other wildlife for company.

If coming by car you have to check in at a ranger station where they will collect the entrance fee and provide any information needed. The gates to the park are locked now so you're stuck but again if you think you're Davy Crockett you can pass on foot and the best of luck. Know what to do if confronted by a bear or mountain lion :hihi:

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 23:00 ----------

They made a movie about her when she was campaigning for Vice-President with John McCain who was running for President. Her campaign staff had to give her a crash course on European politics and general knowledge about Europe that a 16 year old school student with half a brain would already know.

After her interview with Katie Courac in which she demonstrated her astounding knowledge of Russia by saying that she could see Russia from her home state on a clear day she seemed to suffer from a mild nervous breakdown of some sort but later ralled enough to give a few interviews.

John McCain might have stood a reasonable chance to beat Obama in that election but his age and the concern that he might die in office and be replaced by Vice-President Palin was enough to scare away loads of voters and ensure his defeat.

We saw her at her best at home in Alaska I reckon. Surrounded by snow, armed to the teeth with hunting rifles and going out with her parents executing anything that moved.

Sarah Palin is as hard as nails. BBC did a piece where Jackie Long interviewed her at the Alaska Iron dogs snowmobile race. It was like 30 below. Jackie Long was visibly traumatised by the cold. Palin didn't look like it was cold enough for her. I was kind of impressed by that, don't know why.

You would though wouldnt you? You'd feel awful afterwards because she's stupid, bigoted and was a few votes and a heart attack away from having Americas nuclear arsenal at her disposal.

We saw her at her best at home in Alaska I reckon. Surrounded by snow, armed to the teeth with hunting rifles and going out with her parents executing anything that moved.

She's typical of a certain type of American. Nothing wrong with a bit of hunting now and again though. (I've done a bit myself) but her kind of politician is incapable of connecting with Americans as a whole which any aspiring leader needs to be at least capable enough of to garner a meaningful amount of support.

Like all Tea Party politicians she advocates small government which means very little intrusion or involvement in citizens affairs. That sounds fine on paper but it's far removed from the reality of what America now is.

I could go a bit of the way with that policy if it meant I only have to pay no more than 200 dollars a year in Federal taxes but that wouldnt happen

American government can't agree a budget because of a dispute over 'Obamacare' which has rendered the government unworkable.

Millions of Americans cannot get private healthcare insurance and are literally left to suffer the consequences.

Obama has tried to create a safety net with his 'Obamacare' reforms, ie. basic health care cover for all, paid for by raising taxes. (I don't know by how much.)

This has caused a section of the Republicans to refuse to agree to a budget and it has brought government to a stalemate and a shutdown.

What do people think? Should there be a basic level of healthcare for all? Will this bring down Obama?

Obama will not be impeached for this, and rightly so. It takes a lot of effort to do so. While this act is far from perfect,it is offering, for the first time, health insurance for people who have never been able to afford it. In America, anyone can get free health care by going to an emergency room, and wait a long time for attention. The evry people who are trying to break it up are the same ones who caused the problem in the first place. May working Americans were given health care benefits by the companies they worked for, but most of that has disappeared under Republicans. Many of you speak well of Britain's Health Care, but my late cousin's wife doesn't. He was delayed for nearly two years trying to get a colonoscopy, by which time it was too late. On the other hand, Canada has an excellent system.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 14:43 ----------

Well if it all gets too bad they can just cross the border and live in Canada, so it's not thats bad.
When I lived in Canada back in the late sixties, Americans were able to come into Canada, no questions asked. No such thing happened to Canadians looking for work stateside. A few years later, Americans were told they would have to apply for Canadian immigration if they wanted to stay beyond a year. You coild hear the moans from Montreal all the way to Toronto. Now you need a passport.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 14:45 ----------

Well if it all gets too bad they can just cross the border and live in Canada, so it's not thats bad.
When I lived in Canada back in the late sixties, Americans were able to come into Canada, no questions asked. No such thing happened to Canadians looking for work stateside. A few years later, Americans were told they would have to apply for Canadian immigration if they wanted to stay beyond a year. You coild hear the moans from Montreal all the way to Toronto. Now you need a passport.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 15:04 ----------

Why are the parks gated? They belong to the American people.
They are funded by the people who visit them. If there were no gates, there would be no parks, simple as that. We're not talking Millhouses here.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 15:08 ----------

She's typical of a certain type of American. Nothing wrong with a bit of hunting now and again though. (I've done a bit myself) but her kind of politician is incapable of connecting with Americans as a whole which any aspiring leader needs to be at least capable enough of to garner a meaningful amount of support.

Like all Tea Party politicians she advocates small government which means very little intrusion or involvement in citizens affairs. That sounds fine on paper but it's far removed from the reality of what America now is.

I could go a bit of the way with that policy if it meant I only have to pay no more than 200 dollars a year in Federal taxes but that wouldnt happen

She'd be out of place in the Waldorf Astoria, fine at the CrackerBarrel, kind of like me, I guess.

Archived