Car Warrenty cover questions

It depends what's failed in the clutch I suppose. .if it's the mechanism then it could be covered but if it's the friction plate that's worn out then it might not be as this can be affected by the way the car's been driven .."riding" the clutch, holding it on hills with the clutch instead of the hand brake etc.etc..

It depends what's failed in the clutch I suppose. .if it's the mechanism then it could be covered but if it's the friction plate that's worn out then it might not be as this can be affected by the way the car's been driven .."riding" the clutch, holding it on hills with the clutch instead of the hand brake etc.etc..

Thanks for this. So it's 50/50 then! Knowing my luck it'll definitely be something that's not covered.

Thanks for this. So it's 50/50 then! Knowing my luck it'll definitely be something that's not covered.

Clutches are funny things when it comes to warranties.. what does it say on the Ts and Cs about it? What's happening with the clutch?

My car is 3 year old with a five year warranty and it would appear I have major clutch problems. Will it be covered by the warranty or am I gonna cop for a huge bill. Surely to goodness the clutch shouldn't go in 3 years. Help appreciated. XX

Why not just ask the dealership where you bought the car from and get the correct answer to your question. The warranties taken out on a used vehicle dont cover the clutch for wear and tear, not on any of the 3 warranties I have had on used cars anyway. But if its the original warranty from the car being bought new it might be a different matter. Just phone them up and find out.

I'm pretty certain it won't be covered by warranty unless there's evidence of mechanical failure. They'll class it as general wear.

You're right that a clutch should last longer than three years, but it all depends on how and where the car is driven. I've known clutches fail at 30,000 miles from owners who sit with their foot on the pedal and do nothing but town driving. Then I see cars almost ten years old with 140,000 miles on the clock and still on their first clutch.

Clutches are funny things when it comes to warranties.. what does it say on the Ts and Cs about it? What's happening with the clutch?

It's always been quite a stiff clutch. From brand new it was always quite high & quite stiff.

A few days ago I started to struggle to get into 1st & 3rd gear (like a grinding noise & a feeling of having to force it. I thought I'd give it a few days & see how it went as I was booked in this Friday for some work anyway. Anyhow woke up today & the clutch is stiff as a board. Couldn't depress it at all first off. Pumped it a few times & it loosened slightly enough to depress it but not really drivable. Having to slam it into gear & that grinding noise in first & third.

I'm pretty certain it won't be covered by warranty unless there's evidence of mechanical failure. They'll class it as general wear.

You're right that a clutch should last longer than three years, but it all depends on how and where the car is driven. I've known clutches fail at 30,000 miles from owners who sit with their foot on the pedal and do nothing but town driving. Then I see cars almost ten years old with 140,000 miles on the clock and still on their first clutch.

I recollect her saying in a previous post some time back, that she is a " perfect driver" so we can rule out any bad driving/slipping the clutch etc. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Its only done 35k but I don't ride the clutch. All my driving is town driving though & I live at the very top of one of Sheffields steepest hills.

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 16:08 ----------

I recollect her saying in a previous post some time back, that she is a " perfect driver" so we can rule out any bad driving/slipping the clutch etc. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

That is Corrrrrrect :hihi::hihi:

Archived