Minimum wage 12p increase

The rich developed countries will always have the upper hand because they have the money to make the investments abroad.

No they won't India will still be cheaper because they pay their workers 12p a day so even with import tax they would win.

And what has the price of bread got to do with anything? I bet 90% of people don't know the price of a loaf of bread.

I agree that 12p is a joke but during recessions you have to be careful.

The problem that has happened in other countries with a significant basic wage rise is that employers made mass layoffs cause their wage bill increased massively over night.

Forcing the remaining employees to take on extra duties & hours to compensate. Which didnt really benefit anyone as they found they were doing twice as much work for a bit of extra money.

Moderator Note

Could posters please not 'apparently' alter other peoples posts by adding to the original quote. The general 'form' if you wish to comment upon another persons specific text in a quote is to highlight the bit of the quote you're referring to and make your own comment completely separate from the quote itself. Not make it look like your comment is part of the original persons quote.

I know that's a bit oblique. But it makes sense to me.

Thanks

Pete

Moderator Note

Could posters please not 'apparently' alter other peoples posts by adding to the original quote. The general 'form' if you wish to comment upon another persons specific text in a quote is to highlight the bit of the quote you're referring to and make your own comment completely separate from the quote itself. Not make it look like your comment is part of the original persons quote.

I know that's a bit oblique. But it makes sense to me.

Thanks

Pete

So could you please remove the bogus quotes that someone has posted using my name?

For someone who doesn't know the cost of a slice of bread, as legislators of this country, you would expect them to know about the cost of living and how the majority of people have to struggle in this country. The least they could give the people of this country is a living wage. Is that too much to ask?

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 22:37 ----------

Who said anything about doubling one's wage?

The point is that whatever the increase in the minimum wage above inflation, it would simply result in price and salary inflation across the board, which would benefit no-one.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 10:29 ----------

Oh, so it's all right to double the cost of bread over night if you are a big corporation and rip customers off. I've been buying 8 bread rolls for £1.20 for 6 months. This week they increased in price 4 for £1.00. My response, I made my own.

It's okay to charge whatever you like if you're a business.

And if you do then customers will buy bread rolls from another company or make their own, that's how the free market works.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 10:31 ----------

The greater everyones ability to pay for something that someone else provides, the more profit they will make. The only way to stop this is to loose your ability to buy what they offer. Or like poppet2, make it yourself.

The larger the potential profit the more companies will enter the market and the more supply will increase, this naturally restricts the price rise and the amount of profit available.

Housing is different because the supply is restricted by other factors.

No they won't India will still be cheaper because they pay their workers 12p a day so even with import tax they would win.

And what has the price of bread got to do with anything? I bet 90% of people don't know the price of a loaf of bread.

In our household I'm the one who would go out and do the shopping so why would the others have a clue? But even I have no idea how much a slice of bread costs. It is a very unusual person who opens up a pack of bread to count the slices and then gets out the calculator to work it out.

The same with milk. According to my till receipt from M&S yesterday, 2 litres cost £1.78. Off the top of my head I have no idea how much that is a pint. I do know it is far more expensive than buying the cut price milk at ASDA which from memory is about half that price. But why would anyone memorise the prices? Who knows the price of a fish finger off the top of their head?

What British Exports? I'm talking about an import tax.

We have a large export industry.

If we started imposing import tariffs (which would be illegally anti competitive btw) then other counties would respond and our entire economy would suffer a crash.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 10:42 ----------

In our household I'm the one who would go out and do the shopping so why would the others have a clue? But even I have no idea how much a slice of bread costs. It is a very unusual person who opens up a pack of bread to count the slices and then gets out the calculator to work it out.

The same with milk. According to my till receipt from M&S yesterday, 2 litres cost £1.78. Off the top of my head I have no idea how much that is a pint. I do know it is far more expensive than buying the cut price milk at ASDA which from memory is about half that price. But why would anyone memorise the prices? Who knows the price of a fish finger off the top of their head?

Nobody asked about the price per slice though...

Are you advertising the fact that you don't know roughly how many pints are in a litre? Or that you can't divide £1.80 into 4 to get a rough estimate?

Archived